Re: Chili

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
      CARNE ASADA & BLACK BEAN CHILI_

      2 lb. top sirloin steak, in 1/2” dice
      2 Tbs. vegetable oil
      3 cans black beans
      2 cans diced tomatoes
      4 green chilies, roasted, cleaned & diced
      1 large sweet onion, diced medium
      1 green bell pepper, diced medium
      4 garlic cloves, minced
      12 oz. can beer
      1 package chili seasoning kit

      Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes and avocado, sour cream, sliced green onions, chopped fresh cilantro

      Sauté steak in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until browned.

      Place steak in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker; stir in black beans and next 6 ingredients. Stir in packets from chili kit, including red pepper packet (opt.) but omitting masa.

      Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours. Serve with desired toppings.

      --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Lance M <monarch@...> wrote:

      > Since we just got our first snow, I'm looking for good, tnt, chili.
      > Just basic chili rather than white, or chicken, or other fancy stuff.
      > Maybe later, but not for now.
      >
      > What is your favorite chili recipe?
      > =====

    • Rick
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
        BOWL of RED (CHILI)

        2 to 3 lbs. lean beef cubes
        1 large onion
        3 cloves garlic
        1 tsp. salt
        2 to 3 Tbs. chopped jalapeño pepper
        1/4 C. chile powder
        2 tsp. ground cumin
        1 C. dark beer
        1/2 C. water

        Brown beef with onion, drain off excess fat. Add garlic and stir over medium heat another minute. Transfer beef to the slow Crock Pot; add salt, pepper, chile powder, cumin, beer and water. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

        Stir some masa (or cornmeal) with enough water to make a smooth paste and add to chili 30 minutes to 1 hour before done. Turn to high and cook uncovered the remaining hour.

        Serve over rice in wide bowls and garnish with grated cheddar cheese and/or finely chopped onion, if desired.

        Serves 4 to 6.

        --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Lance M <monarch@...> wrote:

        > Since we just got our first snow, I'm looking for good, tnt, chili.
        > Just basic chili rather than white, or chicken, or other fancy stuff.
        > Maybe later, but not for now.
        >
        > What is your favorite chili recipe?
        > =====

      • mrublee
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
          Hi Lance,

          Here is my favorite chili. It's the only one we make anymore! I updated the points to reflect the new Pro Points calculations.

          Maria

          http://malincholia.com/recipes/chili.htm
          Classic Beef Chili

          Recipe by: Weight Watchers magazine
          Nominated by: Maria Rublee
          Post #: 21550

          Ingredients
          1 pound lean ground beef (10% or less fat)
          2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
          2 T chili powder
          1 t ground cumin
          1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
          1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
          1 sweet onion, chopped
          1/4 cup canned diced chiles
          2 T tomato paste

          Instructions
          Cook ground beef & garlic in skillet until browned, drain off fat.
          Add chili powder & cumin, stir to coat the beef.

          Mix the tomatoes, beans, onions, chiles and tomato paste in a slow
          cooker. Stir in the beef mixture.

          Cover and cook on high until the flavors are blended, 4-5 hours.

          Per serving (based upon 8 servings): 170 calories, 5 g fat (2 g sat
          fat, 0 trans fat), 32 mg chol, 331 mg sod, 16g carb, 5 g fiber, 17 g
          protein, 59 mg calc
          Pro Points per serving: 5

          MARIA'S NOTES: I did things pretty much as directed (for once),
          except I browned the onions with the ground beef & garlic. Also, I
          put it on low for 5 hours and it was done.

          This was a really great chili, good taste, not too much beans or meat
          or tomatoes, a good blend. In addition, it is very healthy and
          filling. You get 8 servings, and they are big, probably 1.5 cups
          each. I added 2 T low fat sour cream on top and it was great. This
          will be my favorite chili recipe!

          --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Lance M <monarch@...> wrote:

          > Since we just got our first snow, I'm looking for good, tnt, chili.
          > Just basic chili rather than white, or chicken, or other fancy stuff.
          > Maybe later, but not for now.
          >
          > What is your favorite chili recipe?
          > =====

        • Charlotte
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
            This is the recipe I use. It's T&T and from Southern Living, all their recipes taste great!

            2 lbs ground chuck
            2 large onion chopped
            3 lg cloves garlic, minced
            2 (16 oz) cans kidney beans undrained
            1 16 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
            1 8 oz can tomato sauce
            2 c water (or less)
            3 T chili powder
            1 T garlic powder
            1.5 t ground cumin
            1 t oregano
            1 t black pepper
            Corn Chips (optional)
            Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (optional)
            Green Onions - chopped (optional)

            Cook beef & onion. Drain. Place in CP with rest of ingred and crock for 8 - 10 hours.

            Book instr:
            Cook ground chuck, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven over med-high heat until meat is browned and onion is tender, stirring until meat crumbles. Drain. Stir in beans and next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, 1 hr, stirring occasionally. If desired, serve chili with corn chips, cheese and gren onions. Yield 9 cups.

            Charlotte
            from my iPhone

            On Feb 14, 2012, at 11:31 PM, Lance wrote:

            > Since we just got our first snow, I'm looking for good, tnt, chili.
            > Just basic chili rather than white
          • Sue
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
              Here's my chili, it's very simple and easy but one that was passed down from my mom and it's the only way I make chili.

              Brown about 1 pound ground beef, (you can also use part ground sausage if you prefer),
              onion to taste and green or red peppers if you like them. Also a clove or two of garlic, again to your taste.
              Cook until done.

              In crockpot put the ground beef mixture. Add a can of chili beans (or 2 cans if you like lots of beans), 2 or 3 cans of tomato soup and the same number of soup cans of water. Add chili powder, salt, pepper to taste.

              Cook on low about 4 hours. I like my chili soupy so I use more tomato soup but if you like it thicker you can use less or use more meat. You can adjust this to your preference.

              Sue in Indy

            • silversallystudio@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
                Lg can tom puree
                Lg can whl tomatoe broken in smmall pieces
                Fried hamb w onions
                Worchtershire sauce
                Chill pwd
                Garlic pwd
                lg can chillibeans
                Lg can kidney beans
                Cumin
                Sugar if wanted

                Husbands mother made in restuarant for years
                I put in crockpot low for 4hrs or more

                While frying hamburger I add and start crockpot dump in fried done
                Adjust as u like

                Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 16, 2012
                  My husband raves about this one.  I love that it's so simple.  I cook it in the crockpot instead of the stove top.

                  Debdoozie's Blue Ribbon Chili

                  Servings: 8

                  "Prepared salsa and chili seasoning mix speed preparation of this easy version of chili. Serve over cornbread or with crackers. Add jalapeno peppers for more heat."

                  Ingredients:

                  2 pounds ground beef

                  1/2 onion, chopped

                  1 teaspoon ground black pepper

                  1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

                  2 1/2 cups tomato sauce

                  1 (8 ounce) jar salsa

                  4 tablespoons chili seasoning mix

                  1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans

                  1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans

                  Directions:

                  1.In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain grease, if desired.

                  2. Add the ground black pepper, garlic salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix and kidney beans. Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour.

                  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/debdoozies-blue-ribbon-chili/detail.aspx