Re: Chili

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
      CARNE ASADA & BLACK BEAN CHILI_

      2 lb. top sirloin steak, in 1/2” dice
      2 Tbs. vegetable oil
      3 cans black beans
      2 cans diced tomatoes
      4 green chilies, roasted, cleaned & diced
      1 large sweet onion, diced medium
      1 green bell pepper, diced medium
      4 garlic cloves, minced
      12 oz. can beer
      1 package chili seasoning kit

      Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes and avocado, sour cream, sliced green onions, chopped fresh cilantro

      Sauté steak in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until browned.

      Place steak in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker; stir in black beans and next 6 ingredients. Stir in packets from chili kit, including red pepper packet (opt.) but omitting masa.

      Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours. Serve with desired toppings.

      --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Lance M <monarch@...> wrote:

      > Since we just got our first snow, I'm looking for good, tnt, chili.
      > Just basic chili rather than white, or chicken, or other fancy stuff.
      > Maybe later, but not for now.
      >
      > What is your favorite chili recipe?
      > =====

    • Rick
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
        BOWL of RED (CHILI)

        2 to 3 lbs. lean beef cubes
        1 large onion
        3 cloves garlic
        1 tsp. salt
        2 to 3 Tbs. chopped jalapeño pepper
        1/4 C. chile powder
        2 tsp. ground cumin
        1 C. dark beer
        1/2 C. water

        Brown beef with onion, drain off excess fat. Add garlic and stir over medium heat another minute. Transfer beef to the slow Crock Pot; add salt, pepper, chile powder, cumin, beer and water. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

        Stir some masa (or cornmeal) with enough water to make a smooth paste and add to chili 30 minutes to 1 hour before done. Turn to high and cook uncovered the remaining hour.

        Serve over rice in wide bowls and garnish with grated cheddar cheese and/or finely chopped onion, if desired.

        Serves 4 to 6.

        --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Lance M <monarch@...> wrote:

        > Since we just got our first snow, I'm looking for good, tnt, chili.
        > Just basic chili rather than white, or chicken, or other fancy stuff.
        > Maybe later, but not for now.
        >
        > What is your favorite chili recipe?
        > =====

      • Rick
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
          This isn't chili but you might like it also...

          RED BEANS & RICE____________ _
          Slow cooker version

          1 lb. dry kidney beans
          2 cloves garlic, minced
          2 bay leaves
          1 (14.5 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
          4-oz. jar diced pimentos, drained
          1 lg. green bell pepper, chopped
          1 lg. red bell pepper, chopped
          1 large onion, chopped
          1½ C. chopped celery
          4-ounce can diced green chilies
          1/4 C. snipped fresh parsley
          1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
          1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
          1/4-1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
          1 tsp. paprika
          1 Tbs. vinegar
          1 lb. meaty ham hocks
          1 (14.5-ounce)can chicken broth
          Hot, cooked rice for serving

          Place dried beans in slow cooker and cover with at least 4 inches water. Let soak overnight. Drain well.

          Add vegetables and seasonings and stir well. Top with ham hocks and add chicken broth. Cook on low for 9 to 11 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours, making sure beans are cooked thoroughly.

          Remove ham hocks from cooker and let cool slightly. Remove meat from bone and add back to slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on high 30 more minutes.

          Remove bay leaves and season to taste with salt and pepper.

          Serve over rice.

          --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Lance M <monarch@...> wrote:

          > Since we just got our first snow, I'm looking for good, tnt, chili.
          > Just basic chili rather than white, or chicken, or other fancy stuff.
          > Maybe later, but not for now.
          >
          > What is your favorite chili recipe?
          > =====

        • mrublee
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
            Hi Lance,

            Here is my favorite chili. It's the only one we make anymore! I updated the points to reflect the new Pro Points calculations.

            Maria

            http://malincholia.com/recipes/chili.htm
            Classic Beef Chili

            Recipe by: Weight Watchers magazine
            Nominated by: Maria Rublee
            Post #: 21550

            Ingredients
            1 pound lean ground beef (10% or less fat)
            2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
            2 T chili powder
            1 t ground cumin
            1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
            1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
            1 sweet onion, chopped
            1/4 cup canned diced chiles
            2 T tomato paste

            Instructions
            Cook ground beef & garlic in skillet until browned, drain off fat.
            Add chili powder & cumin, stir to coat the beef.

            Mix the tomatoes, beans, onions, chiles and tomato paste in a slow
            cooker. Stir in the beef mixture.

            Cover and cook on high until the flavors are blended, 4-5 hours.

            Per serving (based upon 8 servings): 170 calories, 5 g fat (2 g sat
            fat, 0 trans fat), 32 mg chol, 331 mg sod, 16g carb, 5 g fiber, 17 g
            protein, 59 mg calc
            Pro Points per serving: 5

            MARIA'S NOTES: I did things pretty much as directed (for once),
            except I browned the onions with the ground beef & garlic. Also, I
            put it on low for 5 hours and it was done.

            This was a really great chili, good taste, not too much beans or meat
            or tomatoes, a good blend. In addition, it is very healthy and
            filling. You get 8 servings, and they are big, probably 1.5 cups
            each. I added 2 T low fat sour cream on top and it was great. This
            will be my favorite chili recipe!

            --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Lance M <monarch@...> wrote:

            > Since we just got our first snow, I'm looking for good, tnt, chili.
            > Just basic chili rather than white, or chicken, or other fancy stuff.
            > Maybe later, but not for now.
            >
            > What is your favorite chili recipe?
            > =====

          • Charlotte
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
              This is the recipe I use. It's T&T and from Southern Living, all their recipes taste great!

              2 lbs ground chuck
              2 large onion chopped
              3 lg cloves garlic, minced
              2 (16 oz) cans kidney beans undrained
              1 16 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
              1 8 oz can tomato sauce
              2 c water (or less)
              3 T chili powder
              1 T garlic powder
              1.5 t ground cumin
              1 t oregano
              1 t black pepper
              Corn Chips (optional)
              Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (optional)
              Green Onions - chopped (optional)

              Cook beef & onion. Drain. Place in CP with rest of ingred and crock for 8 - 10 hours.

              Book instr:
              Cook ground chuck, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven over med-high heat until meat is browned and onion is tender, stirring until meat crumbles. Drain. Stir in beans and next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, 1 hr, stirring occasionally. If desired, serve chili with corn chips, cheese and gren onions. Yield 9 cups.

              Charlotte
              from my iPhone

              On Feb 14, 2012, at 11:31 PM, Lance wrote:

              > Since we just got our first snow, I'm looking for good, tnt, chili.
              > Just basic chili rather than white
            • Sue
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
                Here's my chili, it's very simple and easy but one that was passed down from my mom and it's the only way I make chili.

                Brown about 1 pound ground beef, (you can also use part ground sausage if you prefer),
                onion to taste and green or red peppers if you like them. Also a clove or two of garlic, again to your taste.
                Cook until done.

                In crockpot put the ground beef mixture. Add a can of chili beans (or 2 cans if you like lots of beans), 2 or 3 cans of tomato soup and the same number of soup cans of water. Add chili powder, salt, pepper to taste.

                Cook on low about 4 hours. I like my chili soupy so I use more tomato soup but if you like it thicker you can use less or use more meat. You can adjust this to your preference.

                Sue in Indy

              • silversallystudio@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
                  Lg can tom puree
                  Lg can whl tomatoe broken in smmall pieces
                  Fried hamb w onions
                  Worchtershire sauce
                  Chill pwd
                  Garlic pwd
                  lg can chillibeans
                  Lg can kidney beans
                  Cumin
                  Sugar if wanted

                  Husbands mother made in restuarant for years
                  I put in crockpot low for 4hrs or more

                  While frying hamburger I add and start crockpot dump in fried done
                  Adjust as u like

                  Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 16, 2012
                    My husband raves about this one.  I love that it's so simple.  I cook it in the crockpot instead of the stove top.

                    Debdoozie's Blue Ribbon Chili

                    Servings: 8

                    "Prepared salsa and chili seasoning mix speed preparation of this easy version of chili. Serve over cornbread or with crackers. Add jalapeno peppers for more heat."

                    Ingredients:

                    2 pounds ground beef

                    1/2 onion, chopped

                    1 teaspoon ground black pepper

                    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

                    2 1/2 cups tomato sauce

                    1 (8 ounce) jar salsa

                    4 tablespoons chili seasoning mix

                    1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans

                    1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans

                    Directions:

                    1.In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain grease, if desired.

                    2. Add the ground black pepper, garlic salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix and kidney beans. Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour.

                    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/debdoozies-blue-ribbon-chili/detail.aspx