Re: [slowcooker] Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala

  • Richard Lee Holbert
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 22, 2012
      95% of them are ma'am.

      On 1/22/2012 6:36 PM, Charlotte wrote:

      > Are the recipes you post TNT?
      >
      > Charlotte
    • Charlotte
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 22, 2012
        Thank you! If you could put TNT in the title, that would be greatly appreciated.

        Charlotte
        from my iPhone

        On Jan 22, 2012, at 7:48 PM, Richard wrote:

        > 95% of them are
      • Kathy Boyum
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 23, 2012
          Um...what is TNT?

          [Moderator's note: TNT = tried n true]

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 23, 2012
            Would sour cream work with this instead of heavy cream?? Opinions????
            --Thanks, Pat_n_Paws

          • Sarah L
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 23, 2012
              This sounds really good!  Think I will put it on next week's menu plan...thanks!

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 23, 2012
                Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is one of my favorite dishes and I often wondered about trying it in the crockpot. Yum!

                Marna (CT)

                --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee Holbert <rlhintexas@...> wrote:

                > Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala
                >
                > Serves 4
                >
                > Ingredients
                >
                > 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
                > 1 medium onion, chopped
                > 2 cloves garlic, chopped
                > 2 tablespoons tomato paste
                > 2 teaspoons garam masala (Indian spice blend)
                > kosher salt and black pepper
                > 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
                > 1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
                > 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
                > 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
                > 1 cup basmati or some other long-grain white rice
                > 1/2 cup heavy cream
                >
                > Directions
                >
                > In a 4- to 6-quart crockpot, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato
                > paste, garam masala, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
                > Place the chicken on top of the vegetables, cover, and cook until the
                > chicken is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
                >
                > In a small bowl, toss the cucumber and cilantro with the lemon juice and
                > ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
                > Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
                >
                > Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package
                > directions.
                >
                > Just before serving, stir the cream into the chicken tikka masala.
                > Serve over the rice with the cucumber relish.
                >
                > Tip
                >
                > Garam masala is a mixture of spices often used in Indian cooking. If you
                > can’t find it in the spice aisle of your supermarket, you can make your
                > own by combining ½ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon
                > coriander, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves, ⅛ teaspoon
                > nutmeg, and a pinch of cayenne.
                >
                > Nutritional Information
                >
                > Calories 559; Fat 25g; Sat Fat 10g; Cholesterol 152mg; Sodium 738mg;
                > Protein 37g; Carbohydrate 48g; Sugar 3g; Fiber 4g; Iron 4mg; Calcium 91mg
                >
                > Source : RealSimple.com

              • Greg Rothschild
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 23, 2012
                  TNT means Tried and True :)

                  Greg

                  http://www.gregrothschild.com

                  On 1/23/2012 1:59 AM, Kathy Boyum wrote:

                  > Um...what is TNT?
                  >
                  > [Moderator's note: TNT = tried n true]

                • Charlotte
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 23, 2012
                    My opinion - no. Sour cream & heavy cream have 2 different flavors. Instead of heavy cream, cream cheese may be a better substitution.

                    Charlotte
                    from my iPhone

                    On Jan 23, 2012, at 2:23 PM, <patnpaws@...> wrote:

                    > Would sour cream work with this instead of heavy cream??
                  • PatNPaws
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 24, 2012
                      Thanks for your answer to my sour cream question, Charlotte----cream cheese
                      sounds like a good idea. -Pat_n_Paws

                    • Brandi
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 3, 2012
                        I made this last night. Used frozen chicken breasts because it cooked, on low, from 7:45 AM - 5:30 PM (9+ hours). Found out after everything was in the crock that I was completely out of onions and garlic (how does that happen???) so I used onion flakes and garlic powder. Also, didn't want to use heavy cream so I used light sour cream.

                        Chicken shredded on it's own when I tried to take it out to mix the sour cream into the sauce. It was DELICIOUS! Whole family, except the picky 10-year-old, loved it. My 6-year-old even had seconds. Served over brown rice. Didn't feel the cucumber "relish" added anything so probably wouldn't make that again. The lemon juice and cilantro was nice in the dish though as a final mix-in.

                        Will definitely make this again! Thanks!

                        Brandi