CROCKPOT CHICKEN CASABLANCA

  • Richard Lee Holbert
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2011
      CROCKPOT CHICKEN CASABLANCA

      1 large onion, sliced
      1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      3 large carrots, diced
      2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
      1 medium zucchini, sliced 1" thick
      1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
      3 lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces
      1/2 teaspoon cumin
      1/2 teaspoon turmeric
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon pepper
      1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
      1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
      1 14 1/2 oz. can chopped tomatoes
      2 tablespoons chopped parsley
      1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

      Combine first eight ingredients in crockpot.
      Combine spices in small bowl and sprinkle over ingredients in crockpot.
      Add chopped tomatoes.
      Cover and cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (High 4 to 5 hours).
      Stir in parsley and cilantro before serving.
      Serve over cooked rice.
    • smartsciencegirl
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2011
        We tried this and liked it though next time I'll add a bit more spice. Also next time, I leave out the cinnamon.

        > CROCKPOT CHICKEN CASABLANCA
        >
        > 1 large onion, sliced
        > 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
        > 2 cloves garlic, minced
        > 3 large carrots, diced
        > 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
        > 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1" thick
        > 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
        > 3 lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces
        > 1/2 teaspoon cumin
        > 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
        > 1/2 teaspoon salt
        > 1/2 teaspoon pepper
        > 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
        > 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
        > 1 14 1/2 oz. can chopped tomatoes
        > 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
        > 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
        >
        > Combine first eight ingredients in crockpot.
        > Combine spices in small bowl and sprinkle over ingredients in crockpot.
        > Add chopped tomatoes.
        > Cover and cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (High 4 to 5 hours).
        > Stir in parsley and cilantro before serving.
        > Serve over cooked rice.

      • Charlotte
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2011
          What do you mean? Cinnamon is a spice.

          Charlotte
          from my iPhone

        • Punknpoco@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 6, 2011
            Yes, cumin, turmeric, pepper are spices but I guess if someone doesn't like
            one spice, e.g. cinnamon, it's OK for that person to leave that one out
            and add more of the others. Most people on this list are familiar with
            spices. Pam

          • Greg Rothschild
            Message 5 of 7 , May 6, 2011
              I'm trying this today. Any of the spices in particular you think I
              should add more of? It's all cooking now and I used everything in the
              recipe plus mushrooms and some yellow curry powder. I felt like it was
              short on the spice quantities when I added them so after a few hours
              I'll give it a taste and add some more. But which ones...

              Greg

              http://www.gregrothschild.com

              On 5/5/2011 5:17 PM, smartsciencegirl wrote:

              > We tried this and liked it though next time I'll add a bit more spice. Also next time, I leave out the cinnamon.
              >

              >> CROCKPOT CHICKEN CASABLANCA
              >>
              >> 1 large onion, sliced
              >> 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
              >> 2 cloves garlic, minced
              >> 3 large carrots, diced
              >> 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
              >> 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1" thick
              >> 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
              >> 3 lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces
              >> 1/2 teaspoon cumin
              >> 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
              >> 1/2 teaspoon salt
              >> 1/2 teaspoon pepper
              >> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
              >> 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
              >> 1 14 1/2 oz. can chopped tomatoes
              >> 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
              >> 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
              >>
              >> Combine first eight ingredients in crockpot.
              >> Combine spices in small bowl and sprinkle over ingredients in crockpot.
              >> Add chopped tomatoes.
              >> Cover and cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (High 4 to 5 hours).
              >> Stir in parsley and cilantro before serving.
              >> Serve over cooked rice.

            • smartsciencegirl
              Message 6 of 7 , May 6, 2011
                by spice I meant spicy as in heat. My family felt the cinnamon was too distinct and well, cinnamony. I also added Jamaican curry powder as I didn't have turmeric (which is in curry powder and essentially only adds a yellow color) but the curry powder also added more flavor and spicyness.
                I usually add a few splashes of dark balsamic vinegar to any dish with tomatoes as we like the way it mixes with the other flavors.

                > CROCKPOT CHICKEN CASABLANCA
                >
                > 1 large onion, sliced
                > 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
                > 2 cloves garlic, minced
                > 3 large carrots, diced
                > 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
                > 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1" thick
                > 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
                > 3 lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces
                > 1/2 teaspoon cumin
                > 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
                > 1/2 teaspoon salt
                > 1/2 teaspoon pepper
                > 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
                > 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                > 1 14 1/2 oz. can chopped tomatoes
                > 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
                > 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
                >
                > Combine first eight ingredients in crockpot.
                > Combine spices in small bowl and sprinkle over ingredients in crockpot.
                > Add chopped tomatoes.
                > Cover and cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (High 4 to 5 hours).
                > Stir in parsley and cilantro before serving.
                > Serve over cooked rice.

              • Greg Rothschild
                Message 7 of 7 , May 6, 2011
                  Thanks for the info. I added a little yellow curry powder and some
                  Worcestershire sauce and it was/is excellent. Oh yeah- I had a Japanese
                  sweet potato on hand so I threw that in there too.