Need Help Converting a Candy Recipe

  • tavia1@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2011
      Could someone tell me how I could convert this recipe so that I could make it in a Wolfgang Punk VersaCooker?

      1/2 pound butter
      1 cup sugar
      1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped
      1/3 cup chocolate chips

      Combine the first three ingredients in a saucepan, and boil, stirring constantly, until it thickens and looks like a brown paper bag. Pour onto a greased cookie sheet, sprinkle on the chocolate chips, let melt, and spread smoothly over the mixture. Let cool and harden. Break into pieces.

      Thanks,
      Ted
    • stacymonroe@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2011
        Hi, Ted:

        I don't believe that this can be cooked in a slow cooker. I don't know if the VersaCooker is different.

        Candy is made at different stages, and each stage must be at a certain temperature to make sure it comes out correctly. I think your best bet when making any type of candy would be to follow the directions exactly as stated in the recipe.

        This recipe sounds a lot like bark, which takes no time at all to prepare.
        You are caramelizing the first three ingredients, pouring them onto a greased cookie sheet, adding the chips, and then smoothing them after they melt.

        When I make bark, I use parchment paper on the cookie sheet instead of greasing it to make clean up easier, and I refrigerate it for about an hour to harden it. I also always add pretzels ;>)

        Just my two cents,
        Stacy

        ========================

        Ted wrote:

        Could someone tell me how I could convert this recipe so that I could make it in a Wolfgang Punk VersaCooker?

        1/2 pound butter
        1 cup sugar
        1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped
        1/3 cup chocolate chips

        Combine the first three ingredients in a saucepan, and boil, stirring constantly, until it thickens and looks like a brown paper bag. Pour onto a greased cookie sheet, sprinkle on the chocolate chips, let melt, and spread smoothly over the mixture. Let cool and harden. Break into pieces.
      • Patti Thorp
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2011
          I'm not sure this is something you would want to cook in a VersaCooker.
          Candy is a tricky thing.

          Patti