[slowcooker] Re: fear of corockpots

  • Karen Wheless
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 1999
      >So this morning I plugged it in (after first dusting it off!), and put in
      >some pork ribs and seasonings, chicken broth, and some water (not much of a
      >recipe, I know.). I ended up turning it off, though, cuz it got SO hot in
      >just a half hour on low. I really DID NOT feel comfortable leaving the
      >house with it on. I think I'll take the advice someone posted, and just get
      >a new one. The one I have was passed down from mom-in-law, so who knows how
      >old it is.

      Mine does get quite hot on the sides, so hot that you can't leave your hand
      on the side for more than a second. It's new, about 1 year old. As long
      as the crock isn't touching anything, leaving it on shouldn't be a problem.
      Even if something fell against it, it's not hot enough to ignite anything
      because there's no flame, the internal heating element is completely
      covered by the crock. The only way it could start a fire would be if
      something went wrong with the electrical wiring (and that's true of any
      appliance). That would be the main reason I would buy a new one, though, a
      lot of older appliances aren't UL rated.

      Karen
    • Kimberly Ann
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 1999
        Kathleen,

        When I talked with the customer service rep when I had the problem with my
        cp, I asked about the reason why the cp's get so hot.

        She told me that they get so hot because of the size of the cp, the larger
        cps will have a larger heating element and so get hotter than the smaller
        ones with a smaller heating element.

        I do trust my cp's. For me, I don't trust the electrical system in my house
        as it needs to be updated. I do have the cp and some other kitchen
        applicances plugged into a multiple outlet with a surge protector.

        I do think though that if I can leave the house with my frig running, the
        washer finishing a wash cycle then I can leave my cp on along with a couple
        of other things. Besides, I'm not usually gone from my home for too long at
        one time unless it is hubby's day off. :-)

        Kimberly
        itchn2stitch@...
        knorling@...

        It is our Father's will,
        And precious in His sight,
        That Christians learn to walk
        In wisdom, love, and light. -- Hess

        A changed heart will result in a changed life.