Re: [slowcooker] Re: Need help with frozen Pork Butt....

  • rose.lee329@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2010
      Glad it turned out good for you :-)

      Priscilla in SC

      -----Original Message-----
      From: "Helene Montgomery" <helenem@...>
      Sender: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:21:55
      To: Slow Cooker<slowcooker@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [slowcooker] Re: Need help with frozen Pork Butt....

      Yes, it certainly does help - thank you. Just FYI on how it came out. I ended up putting the carrots in an hour after I started the meat, which I programmed for 6 hours on 'high'.
      When the 6 hours was up, the carrots were still hard as rocks, at least those that were sitting on top of the meat. The meat was done. I reset it on 'high' and cooked it about another hour and a half, the carrots were done just right, and the meat was in shreds, almost.
      I was able to cut a few slices, the rest just fell apart. Tasted good though, but won't do the carrots in there again, they made the gravy too sweet....
      Helene Montgomery
      Clearlake Oaks, CA
      http://onefromthelake.blogspot.com/

      Posted by: "rose.lee329@..." rose.lee329@... rose.lee329
      Date: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:33 pm ((PDT))

      I don't see any need to brown it first. Just put it in the Crock Pot and cook away. Time will vary with the crock pot and I have added frozen meats to cook when I didn't have time to defrost it. Just takes a little longer to cook. When to put the carrots in is a matter of preference in how mushy you like your carrots. Growing up potatoes and carrots went in with the meat and when they were done, they were mushy. Once my husband and I started dating and I started cooking for him, I would add the carrots the last 30 mins or so of cooking because he likes his with a slight "crunch" to them. Hope that helps.

    • Stephanie Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 17, 2010
        Helene, I used to have a problem with carrots making the gravy too sweet
        also. I would usually boil the carrots in either water (with pepper and
        salt) or some kind of stock and get them halfway cooked and then I would
        drain the carrots and add that to the crockpot. I guess I can’t ever say
        that I have ever had a mushy carrot, they are done enough for me 

        I usually leave my house in the morning by 7AM and don’t get home until 5:30
        pm. Most of the time I will put the frozen meat and all the fixin’s in the
        crockpot and cook on low the entire time. My crockpot also has a ‘warm’
        setting and if I make oyster stew or potato soup or something with milk
        and/or cheese products I will cook them all day on the WARM setting cause
        they will tend to curdle.

        Hope this helps

        Stephanie from Iowa
        mom to Thomas, age 12 - Infantile Battens Disease (www.bdsra.org)