Re: [slowcooker] Re: chicken soup

  • Auntie J
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2010
      This is great thread. I love reading everyone's ideas. Adding my $.02 to
      the chicken soup secrets discussion:

      1) chicken NECKS. They're in the giblet package inside whole roasters. I
      fish them out and freeze them. (Around American Thanksgiving in late
      November, the grocery stores have turkey necks in a separate package, and I
      buy a few to have on hand.) Then when I'm ready to make soup, I boil up
      three or four of them with a whole roasting chicken (as previously
      suggested) with large chunks of carrot, onion, celery and whole
      peppercorns. Cool, skim fat, strain through colander to capture solids.
      Save meat, carrots, celery in separate container. (I toss the necks,
      bones, onions, and peppercorns.) Refrigerate overnight. Skim fat. In
      the slowcooker: add the meat, cut the carrots and celery into spoon size
      pieces and toss them back in. Add more veggies (whatever you like) and
      spices/seasoning (whatever you have/like) and a couple of bay leaves. I
      like to add some barley (instant or long-cook, depending on how long you
      plan to simmer the soup), usually a half a cup is plenty.

      2) LEMON juice. Brightens up a chicken soup in a flash. Start with a
      teaspoon and add just enough to get a hint of the flavor; you don't want to
      overpower, just enhance.