very sad news ... Kim Malo, assistant moderator, has passed away

  • mrublee
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
      Dear slowcooker group,

      It is with great sadness that I share the news that our assistant moderator, Kim Malo, has passed away. Kim has helped me for years - and in fact when we moved to New Zealand, she moderated the group for about a year by herself! Kim ran our recipe of the month contest for three years and maintained the website to it.

      I don't know any details, except for the obituary published in the Boston Herald (pasted below). Kim will be greatly missed by many online - she helped not only our group, but lots of other internet communities.

      Maria

      Kimberly A. Malo
      MALO, Kimberly A. Passed away last week at her home in Allston, Mass. She was the daughter of the late Ernest L Malo, Jr and Nancy (Jones) Malo. Born in Cambridge, NY, Kim was raised in nearby Hoosick Falls, NY. A National Scholarship finalist, Kim graduated from Hoosick Falls Central School in 1975 and received a 4-year honor scholarship to George Washington University, Washington, DC. As one of 12 incoming freshmen guaranteed acceptance to the University Law School Class of 1979, Kim graduated with a BA in Political Science, Philosophy and History. Despite the honor of early acceptance, she did not attend law school. After backpacking through Europe for several weeks, Kim finally settled in Boston and remained there until her passing.

      Whenever possible over the years, Kim returned to visit Greece, her favorite place of all. Remarkably gifted, her accomplishments are many. She was a database administrator, web mistress of many sites, maintainer of FAQ for the psoriasis usenet group, and independent internet professional. Kim enjoyed music and playing the guitar, dining with friends, sharing recipes and writing book reviews. She volunteered at the local polling place and recorded audio books for the blind. To say she loved books is an understatement. She had ecclectic reading taste but was dedicated to history and historical mysteries. A passionate Boston Celtics fan, Kim attended most home games. A recent highlight was a sports radio interview she did for a Boston station.

      Kim is survived by her sister Paige Kwasniak (David) of Hoosick Falls, NY, brother Bob (Allyson) of Sterling, NY and brother Jim (Angela) of Barkhamsted, CT as well as nieces Kelly Kwasniak Luke (Brian) and Amanda Malo, nephews Bobby Malo, David and Derek Kwasniak. She was preceded in death by her parents, sister Gretchen Malo, paternal grandparents Ernest & Alice Malo and maternal grandparents Willis and Florence Jones. Committal services will take place Saturday, August 21, 2010 at 12:00 noon at the family lot in Maple Grove Cemetery with arrangements made by Robson-Reinfurt Funeral
      Home, 72 Main Street, Hoosick Falls, NY. In lieu of flowers, memorial
      contributions can be made to the Boston Public Library in Kim's honor,
      700 Boynton St, Boston, MA. 02116 or to a charity of your choice.
    • P SHEPPARD
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
        I am shocked and saddened by this news too. I have been a member of this group for a while now. Not posting often but any time I had a question  fellow members  could not answer, Kim stepped up and did her best to help. She also helped me personally when I had trouble accessing the site at one point. Helping me work out what the problem was. She was a nice lady. She will be missed.
        Pamela

      • DONNA RUSSELL
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
          OH WOWWWW, I remember Kim from the past 7 or 8 years. How sad. It sounded like she was younger than me. Such a shame!

          Donna

          To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2010
            I was saddened to read of Kim's passing. I greatly admired her grasp of slowcooker cooking and the helpful hints she shared with us. I still frequently refer to the cookook she compiled for us to print off of the winning recipes of the month. May God comfort those who mourn her passing.

          • Rick and Jan Lloyd
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 23, 2010
              My condolences to Kim's family during this time.

              I have over the years had many 'conversations" with Kim and have always
              learned something new.

              She will be missed by the cooking community.

              Jan

              SoCal

            • Auntie J
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 23, 2010
                Thank you for letting us know, Maria.

                Kim was a tremendous resource for all of us. I always appreciated the
                insight, knowledge, and clarity of her posts.

                I'm going to miss her. :-(

                Auntie J

                On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 11:20 PM, mrublee <mrublee@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > Boston station.
                >
                > Kim is survived by her sister Paige Kwasniak (David) of Hoosick Falls, NY,
                > brother Bob (Allyson) of Sterling, NY and brother Jim (Angela) of
                > Barkhamsted, CT as well as nieces Kelly Kwasniak Luke (Brian) and Amanda
                > Malo, nephews Bobby Malo, David and Derek Kwasniak. She was preceded in
                > death by her parents, sister Gretchen Malo, paternal grandparents Ernest &
                > Alice Malo and maternal grandparents Willis and Florence Jones. Committal
                > services will take place Saturday, August 21, 2010 at 12:00 noon at the
                > family lot in Maple Grove Cemetery with arrangements made by Robson-Reinfurt
                > Funeral
                > Home, 72 Main Street, Hoosick Falls, NY. In lieu of flowers, memorial
                > contributions can be made to the Boston Public Library in Kim's honor,
                > 700 Boynton St, Boston, MA. 02116 or to a charity of your choice.

              • Hilly van Zuylekom
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 25, 2010
                  Maria wrote:

                  > It is with great sadness that I share the news that our assistant
                  > moderator, Kim Malo, has passed away. Kim has helped me for years - and in
                  > fact when we moved to New Zealand, she moderated the group for about a year
                  > by herself! Kim ran our recipe of the month contest for three years and
                  > maintained the website to it.

                  How sad. She took me under her wing when I had problems finding recipes.
                  Always kind and helpful she will be sorely missed. My condolences, thoughts
                  and prayers are with her family and friends.

                  Hilly in Melbourne, Australia
                  dutchoz2@...

                  "Don't make old ladies mad. They don't like being old in the first place, so
                  it doesn't take much to set them off"