Re: [slowcooker] New here & question

  • jlknox99
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2010
      Hi Sally!  Welcome to the group.  You will find some wonderful recipes here.  The problem of the crock cooking too hot is a very common one, and seems to have more to do with the age of the pot than the brand/seller.  Many posters here have said the newer crocks cook hotter.  I don't know of any solutions for that.  Good luck to you.

      Jenny in MS

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2010
        It depends on the crock pot to how fast it cooks. That's why it gives a time frame in the recipe (i.e. 6-8 hours, 8-10 hours) instead of a set time. The best thing to do is time each recipe you make and adjust the time on your recipe. JMO though.

        Priscilla in SC

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2010
          Hi, Sally:

          I have an original Rival and a newer one. The low setting on the new one is
          about like the high on the original. I think all of these newer ones are
          more powerful. That is great when cooking frozen roasts, but like you say,
          it can be a problem with other recipes. I hear the same complaint from
          others so maybe that is just the way they are making them now.

          You could put a timer, with sufficient amperage capacity, between the pot
          and the wall, to turn it off ahead of its own internal timer. I don't
          think we are going to see the real low and slow cookers made much anymore

          Scott

          In a message dated 4/30/2010 3:27:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
          afghanwg@... writes:

          Hello All,
          I am new to this group but not to slow cookers/crockpots. I am on my 2nd
          crock and have a couple small ones also. I use my cooker probably 2-3
          times a week for just my husband and myself.

          I have a simple crock with settings of off, high, low and warm. When I
          use the low settings it seems to cook my meal to fast, as if it were on high
          and its always done a couple hours before it should be according to
          directions. My 1st one did this and now my new one is the same. So the
          question is - Is it me! Or is this just a quirk of the Walmart Crocks!

          Sally in Oklahoma

          Sally Papin
          www.windyglensighthwww.windy

          _http://windyglenquihttp://windyglehttp_
          (http://windyglenquilting.blogspot.com/)
          _http://shutterbugokhttp://shuhttp_ (http://shutterbugok.blogspot.com/)

        • sally papin
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1 3:44 AM
            Thanks Scott, I just didn't consider that some of the recipes and times might be for different type older slow cookers, however I have gotten to know how fast it cooks now and can adjust when meals go into it.  Both mine will finish a recipe in half the time stated when set on low - so its like cooking on high!
            Sally

            Message 5 of 6 , May 1 3:45 AM
              This is a good idea and I will put my cook times with my recipe now.  Gee a new project!
[...]

              Copyright, 2006, Maria Rost Rublee.