New here & question

  • sally papin
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2010
      Hello All,
      I am new to this group but not to slow cookers/crockpots.  I am on my 2nd crock and have a couple small ones also.   I use my cooker probably 2-3 times a week for just my husband and myself.

      I have a simple crock with settings of off, high, low and warm.  When I use the low settings it seems to cook my meal to fast, as if it were on high and its always done a couple hours before it should be according to directions.   My 1st one did this and now my new one is the same.   So the question is - Is it me!  Or is this just a quirk of the Walmart Crocks!

      Sally in Oklahoma

      Sally Papin
      www.windyglensighthounds.com

      http://windyglenquilting.blogspot.com/
      http://shutterbugok.blogspot.com/

    • jlknox99
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2010
        Hi Sally!  Welcome to the group.  You will find some wonderful recipes here.  The problem of the crock cooking too hot is a very common one, and seems to have more to do with the age of the pot than the brand/seller.  Many posters here have said the newer crocks cook hotter.  I don't know of any solutions for that.  Good luck to you.

        Jenny in MS

        ________________________________

      • rose.lee329@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2010
          It depends on the crock pot to how fast it cooks. That's why it gives a time frame in the recipe (i.e. 6-8 hours, 8-10 hours) instead of a set time. The best thing to do is time each recipe you make and adjust the time on your recipe. JMO though.

          Priscilla in SC

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2010
            Hi, Sally:

            I have an original Rival and a newer one. The low setting on the new one is
            about like the high on the original. I think all of these newer ones are
            more powerful. That is great when cooking frozen roasts, but like you say,
            it can be a problem with other recipes. I hear the same complaint from
            others so maybe that is just the way they are making them now.

            You could put a timer, with sufficient amperage capacity, between the pot
            and the wall, to turn it off ahead of its own internal timer. I don't
            think we are going to see the real low and slow cookers made much anymore

            Scott

            In a message dated 4/30/2010 3:27:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
            afghanwg@... writes:

            Hello All,
            I am new to this group but not to slow cookers/crockpots. I am on my 2nd
            crock and have a couple small ones also. I use my cooker probably 2-3
            times a week for just my husband and myself.

            I have a simple crock with settings of off, high, low and warm. When I
            use the low settings it seems to cook my meal to fast, as if it were on high
            and its always done a couple hours before it should be according to
            directions. My 1st one did this and now my new one is the same. So the
            question is - Is it me! Or is this just a quirk of the Walmart Crocks!

            Sally in Oklahoma

            Sally Papin
            www.windyglensighthwww.windy

            _http://windyglenquihttp://windyglehttp_
            (http://windyglenquilting.blogspot.com/)
            _http://shutterbugokhttp://shuhttp_ (http://shutterbugok.blogspot.com/)

          • sally papin
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1 3:44 AM
              Thanks Scott, I just didn't consider that some of the recipes and times might be for different type older slow cookers, however I have gotten to know how fast it cooks now and can adjust when meals go into it.  Both mine will finish a recipe in half the time stated when set on low - so its like cooking on high!
              Sally

              Message 6 of 6 , May 1 3:45 AM
                This is a good idea and I will put my cook times with my recipe now.  Gee a new project!
[...]

                Copyright, 2006, Maria Rost Rublee.