RE: [slowcooker] Re: CROCKPOT CHINESE PIE

  • Kathy Jehn
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 31, 2010
      Thanks for the idea!! No Frills has lots of Blue menu stuff I may have to take a closer look to other favourites & see what other twists they have come up with.

      Kate in Alberta

      To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
      From: rsh_rsh@...
      Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:01:26 -0400
      Subject: Re: [slowcooker] Re: CROCKPOT CHINESE PIE

      As a variation to make the dishes healthier, in Canada a supermarket
      chain produces a 'blue menu' version of several of these dishes, but
      instead of a mashed potato topping they use finely chopped
      cauliflower. Otherwise it is the same Sheppard's pie, Cottage pie,
      or chicken pie. Fat is down, calories are reduced, and carbs are way
      down for those who care if you switch from the potato to the
      cauliflower. Make in the slow cooker or oven or microwave or
      whatever you choose to use the same way, just replacing the
      potato...

      FWIW
      RsH

      On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:53:49 +1100, you wrote:

      >Interesting being Australian with probably more of a link to the UK, I feel this original Chinese Pie recipe is more of what we'd call a Lamb/or Beef etc Hotpot. Or with the potato mixed through, an Irish Stew.
      >
      >You're right, Shepherd's Pie is lamb and Cottage Pie is beef or other meat. However, both these in their accepted sense have piles of fluffy mashed potato on the top and then baked, whereas I thought this recipe had the potato through it?
      >
      >We're having Shepherd's Pie for dinner tonight. It's raining here in Oz today and almost feels like autumn. Yay! But then again, it's been skin crinklingly roasting right up until yesterday.
      >
      >Also my son in law in Hungarian and his mum makes Goulash and Parikash all the time and this is nothing like either.
      >
      >Cheers, Kerri In Australia.
      R. S. (Bob) Heuman <robert.heuman@...>
      Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
      If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!

      Retention of this message in violation of Canadian
      Privacy Laws will be prosecuted.

    • dj88
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2, 2010
        Was thinking the same thing :)