Butterscotch Apple Crisp

  • *~Tamara~*
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 31 4:07 PM
      Butterscotch Apple Crisp
      Adapted from Quick Cooking Magazine

      6 servings

      6 cups Granny Smith apples, sliced and peeled
      3 1/2 ozs butterscotch pudding mix
      3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
      1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
      1/2 cup unbleached flour
      1/4 cup margarine
      1/2 cup quick cooking oats

      In a 3-quart cooker placed sliced apples; set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, pudding ,and cinnamon. Mix well. Cut in margarine until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over the apples in cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 5-1/2 hours or until apples are done.

      No time to cook? Looking for some new crockpot recipes? Casseroles?
    • Tracy Andresen
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2009
        Tamara, this sounds wonderful! We don't get butterscotch pudding here in Australia, (well at least not where I am!) so I figure I could just use strawberry or chocolate as I think that is our only choice!

        With the granny smith apples, is that 6 cups already sliced and peeled or before you slice them?

        Thanks Tracy A
        South Australia
        6 cups Granny Smith apples, sliced and peeled
        3 1/2 ozs butterscotch pudding mix
        3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
        1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
        1/2 cup unbleached flour
        1/4 cup margarine
        1/2 cup quick cooking oats

        In a 3-quart cooker placed sliced apples; set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, pudding ,and cinnamon. Mix well. Cut in margarine until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over the apples in cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 5-1/2 hours or until apples are done.

        No time to cook? Looking for some new crockpot recipes? Casseroles?

      • Hilly van Zuylekom
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
          Tracy, what about caramel, I am sure I have seen it in Woolworths or Coles,
          I'll
          have a look when I am going shopping on Wednesday. Or you could contact the
          American shop here in Melbourne, it's called USA Foods, the All American
          grocery store <http://www.usafoods.com.au/>

          This recipe sounds wonderful and I am going to try it for our next family
          meeting.
          I think you measure the apples after they have been peeled and sliced. I
          usually
          dribble some lemon juice over the slices after the apples have been sliced,
          it
          prevents them from getting brown and the juice also gives the apples a bit
          of
          a bite.

          Hilly in Melbourne, Australia
          dutchoz2@...

          "Don't make old ladies mad. They don't like being old in the first place,
          so it doesn't take much to set them off"

          2009/11/2 Tracy Andresen <tracyand7@...>

          > Tamara, this sounds wonderful! We don't get butterscotch pudding here in
          > Australia, (well at least not where I am!) so I figure I could just use
          > strawberry or chocolate as I think that is our only choice!
          >
          > With the granny smith apples, is that 6 cups already sliced and peeled or
          > before you slice them?
          >
          > Thanks Tracy A
          > South Australia
        • Kay Seiler
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
            Do you have vanilla? Personally, I'd think the brown sugar and cinnamon might taste odd with strawberry or chocolate. Do you have butterscotch chips?

            Kay

            *Jesus loves me; this I know.
            Jesus knows me; this I love.

            To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
            CC: tracyand7@...

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
              Moderator's note: Google is your friend as always with that sort of question.
              http://busycooks.about.com/od/conveniencefoodmixes/r/butterscotchpuddmix.htm

              or http://tinyurl.com/yehly4a

              I was wondering about what ingredients are used to make the butterscotch
              pudding.
              Those could be added instead of purchased mix. I've seen a simple recipe
              before for
              the pudding from scratch.
              Dorothy in N. FL.

              > Tamara, this sounds wonderful! We don't get butterscotch pudding here in
              > Australia, (well at least not where I am!) so I figure I could just use
              > strawberry or chocolate as I think that is our only choice!
              > With the granny smith apples, is that 6 cups already sliced and peeled or
              > before you slice them?
              > Thanks Tracy A
              > South Australia
            • Kathy Jehn
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
                Do you have caramel flavoring/extract? It would give you the butterscotch flavor when using vanilla pudding.

                To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
                  Yeah, we do have vanilla. I was thinking about leaving out the cinnamon though if I used the other flavours. No I haven't seen butterscotch chips here either! Just white, milk and dark chocolate.

                  Thanks Kay
                  Tracy A (South Australia)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
                    Only like for milkshake flavouring or ice cream topping. I spose that would work though.

                    Tracy A
                    Do you have caramel flavoring/extract? It would give you the butterscotch flavor when using vanilla pudding.

                    To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com

                  • melekini49@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
                      They have nestle's caramel chips in Pathmark here in NJ. MJ

                      grocery store <_http://www.usafoodshttp://w_ (http://www.usafoods.com.au/) >

                      _dutchoz2@..._ (mailto:dutchoz2@...)

                      (mailto:tracyand7@...) >

                      > Tamara, this sounds wonderful! We don't get butterscotch pudding here in
                      > Australia, (well at least not where I am!) so I figure I could just use
                      > strawberry or chocolate as I think that is our only choice!
                      >
                      > With the granny smith apples, is that 6 cups already sliced and peeled or
                      > before you slice them?
                      >
                      > Thanks Tracy A
                      > South Australia
                    • Kay Seiler
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
                        Might be a long drive from Australia! :)

                        *Jesus loves me; this I know.
                        Jesus knows me; this I love.

                        To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
                        From: melekini49@...
                        Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 19:06:36 -0500

                        dutchoz2@... writes:

                        Tracy, what about caramel, I am sure I have seen it in Woolworths or Coles,
                        I'll
                        have a look when I am going shopping on Wednesday. Or you could contact the
                        American shop here in Melbourne, it's called USA Foods, the All American
                        grocery store <_http://www.usafoodshttp://w_ (http://www.usafoods.com.au/) >

                        This recipe sounds wonderful and I am going to try it for our next family
                        meeting.
                        I think you measure the apples after they have been peeled and sliced. I
                        usually
                        dribble some lemon juice over the slices after the apples have been sliced,
                        it
                        prevents them from getting brown and the juice also gives the apples a bit
                        of
                        a bite.

                        Hilly in Melbourne, Australia
                        _dutchoz2@..._ (mailto:dutchoz2@...)

                        "Don't make old ladies mad. They don't like being old in the first place,
                        so it doesn't take much to set them off"

                        2009/11/2 Tracy Andresen <_tracyand7@..._
                        (mailto:tracyand7@...) >

                        > Tamara, this sounds wonderful! We don't get butterscotch pudding here in
                        > Australia, (well at least not where I am!) so I figure I could just use
                        > strawberry or chocolate as I think that is our only choice!
                        >
                        > With the granny smith apples, is that 6 cups already sliced and peeled or
                        > before you slice them?
                        >
                        > Thanks Tracy A
                        > South Australia

                      • Patti Aliventi
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
                          Is it instant pudding or the cook & serve pudding? I was just at the store
                          and took a guess that it's cook & serve, but I'd like to be sure before I
                          try thins tomorrow

                          --
                          Toodles,

                          Patti ºoº
                          http://www.myspace.com/pattinh
                          http://www.facebook.com/PattiNH

                          You must have faith that the universe will unfold as it should....

                          I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because
                          I notice it always coincides with their own desires. - Susan B. Anthony

                        • cowlady1990
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                            Well, I suppose there has to be some trade-offs. You all have vegemite, we get the butterscotch pudding mixes. :)
                            I like that tradeoff! :) (lol)
                            Kate

                            > > Tamara, this sounds wonderful! We don't get butterscotch pudding here in
                            > > Australia, (well at least not where I am!) so I figure I could just use
                            > > strawberry or chocolate as I think that is our only choice!
                            > >
                            > > With the granny smith apples, is that 6 cups already sliced and peeled or
                            > > before you slice them?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks Tracy A
                            > > South Australia

                          • Tracy Andresen
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                              Yeah, we have vegemite but I would rather have Cool-Whip!

                              Well I made this recipe with plain chocolate chips and a vanilla instant pudding. My boys liked it (DH and DS) but I am not sure that I would have liked it too much (I am diabetic so didn't try it!) I left out the cinnamon. We are not really a cinnamon family here!

                              Tracy A
                              Well, I suppose there has to be some trade-offs. You all have vegemite, we get the butterscotch pudding mixes. :)
                              I like that tradeoff! :) (lol)
                              Kate

                              > > Tamara, this sounds wonderful! We don't get butterscotch pudding here in
                              > > Australia, (well at least not where I am!) so I figure I could just use
                              > > strawberry or chocolate as I think that is our only choice!
                              > >
                              > > With the granny smith apples, is that 6 cups already sliced and peeled or
                              > > before you slice them?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks Tracy A
                              > > South Australia

                            • ronnrhonda
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 4, 2009
                                According to my cookbook, homemade butterscotch pudding is just vanilla pudding made with brown sugar instead of regular sugar. I would just substitute vanilla pudding in the recipe. You could also substitute dark brown sugar for the light brown sugar or add a little molasses to the recipe.

                                --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Andresen" <tracyand7@...> wrote:

                                > Tamara, this sounds wonderful! We don't get butterscotch pudding here in Australia, (well at least not where I am!) so I figure I could just use strawberry or chocolate as I think that is our only choice!
                                >
                                > With the granny smith apples, is that 6 cups already sliced and peeled or before you slice them?
                                >
                                > Thanks Tracy A
                                > South Australia

                              • Critter Corner
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 4, 2009
                                  Is the butterscotch pudding the instant one or the cooked one.
                                  Thanks,  Linda

                                  Well, I suppose there has to be some trade-offs.  You all have vegemite, we get the butterscotch pudding mixes.  :)
                                  I like that tradeoff!  :)  (lol)
                                  Kate

                                  > >  Tamara, this sounds wonderful! We don't get butterscotch pudding here  in
                                  > > Australia, (well at least not where I am!) so I figure I could just  use
                                  > > strawberry or chocolate as I think that is our only  choice!
                                  > >
                                  > > With the granny smith apples, is that 6 cups already  sliced and peeled or
                                  > > before you slice them?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks  Tracy A
                                  > > South Australia

                                  Copyright, 2006, Maria Rost Rublee.

                                • jlknox99
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 4, 2009
                                    I have made this before and used the cook and serve kind.  It came out great

                                  • pscriber8209@charter.net
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 4, 2009
                                      I would go with the cooked one since it is in a slow cooker.
                                      Pam

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 4, 2009
                                        Thanks for answering my question, Linda