Re: [slowcooker] All-Day Meatballs

  • Kim Malo
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2009
      Yeah, thanks, that's a lot more helpful.

      Just to start you off..

      Do you ever buy whole chicken? One of the best and easiest things to
      make in a slowcooker is a whole "roast" chicken. The skin ends up
      disgusting and inedible, but the chicken itself is the most moist and
      flavorful thing, with a whole crock full of incredibly tasty juices
      for gravy or soup
      http://malincholia.com/recipes/myron_chicken.htm - you can alter the
      flavor by using things like lemon and garlic in there or different
      herbs. It's so juicy that the leftovers are great to use in other
      things without worrying about their getting dried out.

      Here's a really good very basic chili
      http://malincholia.com/recipes/chili.htm it's not spicy enough for
      me, but it's a good starting point that you can spice up as you like

      You don't mention salsa ot tortillas but this was really popular when
      it was posted to the list and otherwise seems the sort of thing
      you're looking for
      http://malincholia.com/recipes/cyndi_enchilada.htm
      (BTW, I used to run a recipe of the month contest here on the list
      that got dropped basically for declining interest, and the pages I'm
      linking to are the winners and runners up - a lot of good, basic
      recipes beyond the ones I'm mentioning that you might want to browse

      I know there are recipes in the archives for things like meatloaf and
      spanish rice and various macaroni casseroles. If you don't like
      onoins and garlic enough to keep them on hand, just because one of
      the recipes calls for them doesn't mean you have to rush to the
      store. Just leave them out and maybe spike the flavor level on
      something you like more.
      Kim

    • Tara
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2009
        Kim,

        Thanks so much!

        Tara

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2009
          Oh you're welcome. Here are a few more ideas

          - what about sloppy joes? Here's a recipe from the archives
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slowcooker/message/27468
          Like I said, I would just tweak the seasoning for what you don't have

          You mention steak, but really you want cheap cuts for the slowcooker,
          they work better because the slowcooking breaks down all the fat and
          connective tissue to self baste the meat. Meat that's too lean just
          doesn't work as well or else you have to cook it differently - a
          shorter time and usually on high. I tend to do mostly stews for my
          slowcooking beef, but if you mean cheaper steaks there are recipes
          for things like swiss steak in the archives. Here's a really basic
          one from the very good southernfood.about.com site (I think Diane is
          here on the list too)
          http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotroundsteak/r/bl121c21.htm
          that you should have the stuff for other than the onions, and again
          if you don't like them do without. If you just have canned tomatoes,
          not stewed tomatoes, add a pinch of sugar to the pot - I've found the
          swiss steak needs something to cut the acid in regular tomatoes.

          I know there are french dip sorts of recipes in the archives too -
          you mention liking sandwiches and those are really about the meat and
          broth. Here's one example, although dunno if you'd have the onion
          soup or beer, but it might be a starting point.

          There are also other meatball recipes, like meatball subs. Or here's
          a meatball stew from the archives you could definitely add some of
          your canned veggies to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slowcooker/message/29438

          I don't have any chicken tender recipes because I'm not a huge fan of
          how they come out in the slowcooker, they're too easy to overcook and
          if I'm going to have to watch them that carefully then I might was
          well do them stovetop or oven (chicken thighs work better but those
          tend to be too far the other way and too moist for me. Yeah, I know,
          picky, picky <g>). And I feel the same about most recipes involving
          pasta or rice in the slowcooker, but others have had a lot of
          success, so there are plenty of recipes using all of those things in
          the archives, like spanish rice with ground beef or beef and macaroni
          casserole or various chicken dishes.

          Also, do you like soups? There are recipes for everything from taco
          soup to clam chowder in the archives, at least some of which should
          use things you have. I would think something like good old hamburger
          soup, which this seems to be a variation on
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slowcooker/message/38501 would do it.

          Anyway, like I said, more starting point.
          Kim

          At 11:30 PM 9/8/2009, Tara wrote:
          >Kim,
          >
          >Thanks so much!
          >
          >Tara
        • dgp
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 2009
            I am one of those who will not use, if it can be avoided, and commercially
            processed/prepared items as I want to eliminate as many preservatives,
            artificial colors,
            and artificial flavoring as possible. In addition sodium and sugar are "as
            desired" in
            my recipes for personal nutritional guidlines. So my "prepared pantry" also
            includes fresh fruit and vegetables as well as home canned vegetables,
            fruit, and soups. I love
            being able to use slowcookers which allows me to do whatever else in my
            life; so when
            I grocery shop for recipes I pick up whatever I need for the week. The
            grocery store is
            35 miles away. So it is not a matter of just running to the store for a spur
            of the moment menu.

            In other words, I like the recipes with ingredients like the All-Day
            Meatballs.

            Dorothy in N. FL.
          • doxisrcool@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2009
              Tara,

              I understand what you mean.

              If you find any of these recipes you like and think you'll make often, you
              could always include the standard ingredients into what you normally keep
              in your pantry or freezer so you'll be ready if you decide to make it.

              Since I, too, don't like running to the store for one or two extra
              ingredients, what I've started doing is keeping a list of recipes I use a lot
              and then just adding those ingredients to my pantry on a regular basis. The
              rest of the time I plan a week's of dinners and day-off lunches at a time and
              buy what I'll need in the regular shopping trip. But the first set of
              recipes is the "stand by" so if somebody, say, eats all of the veggies I need
              for one planned meal, I know I already planned to have the ingredients on
              hand for any of another five or ten meals.

              Anna

              .>>>>>