RE: [slowcooker] Nesco Cooker

  • Kay Seiler
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2009
      It's similar but not exactly the same since slow cookers retain moisture and Nesco lids are vented, allowing a certain amount of moisture to escape.

      Kay

      *Jesus loves me; this I know.
      Jesus knows me; this I love.

      To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
      From: lbschroeder@...
      Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:02:21 -0700
      Subject: [slowcooker] Nesco Cooker

      Moderator's note: there is a lot of information in the archives covering this too

      I will be co-hosting a large motor coach rally, and although I have three crockpots, I also have a large Nesco cooker. I have only used it to cook turkey in, but wondering if it is not the same thing as a crockpot? Can I use it the same way and the same recipes? Since I will be cooking for a large crowd, it would come in handy.

      Thank you. Linda in Poulsbo,WA

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
        I use it for holidays and parties. it does not cook as slow as a crock pot.
        MJ

        In a message dated 6/30/2009 9:14:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        lbschroeder@... writes:

        Moderator's note: there is a lot of information in the archives covering
        this too

        I will be co-hosting a large motor coach rally, and although I have three
        crockpots, I also have a large Nesco cooker. I have only used it to cook
        turkey in, but wondering if it is not the same thing as a crockpot? Can I use
        it the same way and the same recipes? Since I will be cooking for a large
        crowd, it would come in handy.

        Thank you. Linda in Poulsbo,WA

      • Kathleen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
          Linda,
          Sure! Use it like a slow cooker. Just turn down the temp to what you want. If it
          tends to dry out too fast, just roll up a tiny bit of aluminum foil and stick it
          in the vents to block evaporation. Some people use stainless steel screws and
          drop them in the vent holes. I've made soups, beans, roast, hams, stews, lasagna,
          etc. in mine.

          There is a great Nesco Yahoo group called "NescoRoasting".

          Kathleen

        • Lance M
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2009
            And also crockpots cook from the sides, and I believe the nesco cooks
            from the bottom. An important difference on how the food heats.

            >It's similar but not exactly the same since slow cookers retain moisture and Nesco lids are vented, allowing a certain amount of moisture to escape.
            >
            >Kay
            >
            >To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
            >From: lbschroeder@...
            >Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:02:21 -0700
            >Subject: [slowcooker] Nesco Cooker
            >
            >Moderator's note: there is a lot of information in the archives covering this too
            >
            >I will be co-hosting a large motor coach rally, and although I have three crockpots, I also have a large Nesco cooker. I have only used it to cook turkey in, but wondering if it is not the same thing as a crockpot? Can I use it the same way and the same recipes? Since I will be cooking for a large crowd, it would come in handy.
            >
            >Thank you. Linda in Poulsbo,WA
            =====
          • rknapp
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 20, 2009
              Nesco roasters heat from the sides not the bottom Ray

              On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Lance M <monarch@...> wrote:

              > And also crockpots cook from the sides, and I believe the nesco cooks
              > from the bottom. An important difference on how the food heats.
              >
              > >It's similar but not exactly the same since slow cookers retain moisture
              > and Nesco lids are vented, allowing a certain amount of moisture to escape.
              > >
              > >Kay

            • Daphne
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 21, 2009
                So glad you offered that information, Ray. Another thing to add is that the holes in the lid can be plugged with steel rivets or with some small pieces of rolled up aluminum foil.

                Daphne