Re: Crockpot Beef and Chipotle Burritos

  • seasidecottage
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18, 2009
      I have a question on the chipotle peppers. Is that 1 to 2 cans or 1 2 ounce can?
      Thanks! I'm making this this weekend!

      Sally

      --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee Holbert <rlhintexas@...> wrote:

      > Crockpot Beef and Chipotle Burritos
      >
      > 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak cut 3/4 inch thick
      > 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
      > 1 small onion chipped
      > 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped
      > 1 teaspoon dried oregano crushed
      > 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
      > 1 clove garlic minced
      > 6 (9 to 10 inch) tomato flavored or plain flour tortillas warmed
      > 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
      > 1 recipe Pico de Gallo Salsa
      > shredded jicama or radishes optional
      > dairy sour cream optional
      >
      > Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 6 pieces. In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart
      > crockpot place meat, undrained tomatoes, onion, peppers, oregano, cumin
      > and garlic.
      > Cover; cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours or on high heat setting
      > for 4-5 hours. Remove meat from crockpot. Using 2 forks, shred meat.
      > Spoon one sixth of the meat onto each warm tortilla just below the
      > center. Top with cheese, pico de Gallo Salsa and if desired, jicama or
      > radishes and sour cream. Roll up tortilla.
      >
      > Makes six servings.
      >
      > Pico de Gallo Salsa
      >
      > 2 medium finely chopped tomatoes
      > 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
      > 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
      > 1 fresh serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
      > Dash of granulated sugar
      >
      > In bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, chile and sugar; cover and
      > chill for several hours.

    • randynb
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2009
        Sally, I was just reading this recipe too. As someone who moved to Los Angeles about 10 years ago, I've come to use canned chipotle peppers alot in my cooking.

        My hunch is you will use 1-2 peppers. NOT 1-2 cans. I think you would ignite yourself in flames if you were to use that much!

        So I think you just need to buy 1 little can of chipotle in adobo sauce. Inside it are usually 2-5 peppers. Start easy. They can be pretty hot...but they have a nice smoky quality too.

        I like a brand called Embasa if you happen to see it in your market.

        Hope this helps. Perhaps Richard in Texas can handle more heat...but I'm guessing this is what was probably meant.

        Randy

        --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "seasidecottage" <Katiebeth103@...> wrote:

        > I have a question on the chipotle peppers. Is that 1 to 2 cans or 1 2 ounce can?
        > Thanks! I'm making this this weekend!
        >
        > Sally
        >
        > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee Holbert <rlhintexas@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Crockpot Beef and Chipotle Burritos
        > >
        > > 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak cut 3/4 inch thick
        > > 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
        > > 1 small onion chipped
        > > 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped
        > > 1 teaspoon dried oregano crushed
        > > 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
        > > 1 clove garlic minced
        > > 6 (9 to 10 inch) tomato flavored or plain flour tortillas warmed
        > > 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
        > > 1 recipe Pico de Gallo Salsa
        > > shredded jicama or radishes optional
        > > dairy sour cream optional
        > >
        > > Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 6 pieces. In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart
        > > crockpot place meat, undrained tomatoes, onion, peppers, oregano, cumin
        > > and garlic.
        > > Cover; cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours or on high heat setting
        > > for 4-5 hours. Remove meat from crockpot. Using 2 forks, shred meat.
        > > Spoon one sixth of the meat onto each warm tortilla just below the
        > > center. Top with cheese, pico de Gallo Salsa and if desired, jicama or
        > > radishes and sour cream. Roll up tortilla.
        > >
        > > Makes six servings.
        > >
        > > Pico de Gallo Salsa
        > >
        > > 2 medium finely chopped tomatoes
        > > 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
        > > 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
        > > 1 fresh serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
        > > Dash of granulated sugar
        > >
        > > In bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, chile and sugar; cover and
        > > chill for several hours.

      • seasidecottage
        Message 3 of 5 , May 19, 2009
          Thanks!

          --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "randynb" <randynb@...> wrote:

          > Sally, I was just reading this recipe too. As someone who moved to Los Angeles about 10 years ago, I've come to use canned chipotle peppers alot in my cooking.
          >
          > My hunch is you will use 1-2 peppers. NOT 1-2 cans. I think you would ignite yourself in flames if you were to use that much!
          >
          > So I think you just need to buy 1 little can of chipotle in adobo sauce. Inside it are usually 2-5 peppers. Start easy. They can be pretty hot...but they have a nice smoky quality too.
          >
          > I like a brand called Embasa if you happen to see it in your market.
          >
          > Hope this helps. Perhaps Richard in Texas can handle more heat...but I'm guessing this is what was probably meant.
          >
          > Randy
          >
          > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "seasidecottage" <Katiebeth103@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a question on the chipotle peppers. Is that 1 to 2 cans or 1 2 ounce can?
          > > Thanks! I'm making this this weekend!
          > >
          > > Sally
          > >
          > > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee Holbert <rlhintexas@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Crockpot Beef and Chipotle Burritos
          > > >
          > > > 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak cut 3/4 inch thick
          > > > 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
          > > > 1 small onion chipped
          > > > 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped
          > > > 1 teaspoon dried oregano crushed
          > > > 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
          > > > 1 clove garlic minced
          > > > 6 (9 to 10 inch) tomato flavored or plain flour tortillas warmed
          > > > 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
          > > > 1 recipe Pico de Gallo Salsa
          > > > shredded jicama or radishes optional
          > > > dairy sour cream optional
          > > >
          > > > Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 6 pieces. In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart
          > > > crockpot place meat, undrained tomatoes, onion, peppers, oregano, cumin
          > > > and garlic.
          > > > Cover; cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours or on high heat setting
          > > > for 4-5 hours. Remove meat from crockpot. Using 2 forks, shred meat.
          > > > Spoon one sixth of the meat onto each warm tortilla just below the
          > > > center. Top with cheese, pico de Gallo Salsa and if desired, jicama or
          > > > radishes and sour cream. Roll up tortilla.
          > > >
          > > > Makes six servings.
          > > >
          > > > Pico de Gallo Salsa
          > > >
          > > > 2 medium finely chopped tomatoes
          > > > 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
          > > > 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
          > > > 1 fresh serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
          > > > Dash of granulated sugar
          > > >
          > > > In bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, chile and sugar; cover and
          > > > chill for several hours.

        • Kay Seiler
          Message 4 of 5 , May 19, 2009
            The recipe reads "1-2 CANNED" peppers, not cans of peppers.

            Kay

            *Worry is like a rocking chair. It makes you feel like you're doing something, but it really doesn't get you anywhere.

            To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
            From: Katiebeth103@...
            Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 15:29:32 +0000
            Subject: [slowcooker] Re: Crockpot Beef and Chipotle Burritos