Re: [slowcooker] Question about white wind

  • siharmon@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
      Wine lifetime basically depends on the conditions it is stored. I use the
      little wine saver vacuum stoppers. Refrigeration will help, but it is oxygen
      that does them in.

      There are two other options. The first is to buy at Walmart. In Dallas, they
      are selling several good Australian (Lindemann vinyards) reds and whites for
      about $4 a bottle. Heck, the Wal Mart Chardonnay at about $3 a bottle just
      placed first in a blind tasting in San Francisco. At that price, you can chunk
      the remainder ... or use it for fruit fly bait.

      The second option is to buy half bottles, if you just can't stand to throw
      stuff out. They won't save you much money, though. Most upscale groceries or
      wine shops will handle them.

      There are substitutes in the cook books, but I've never tried them. The wine
      taste is usually worth the effort to use it, in my opinion.

      Scott

      In a message dated 2/3/2009 4:13:17 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      carolsa@... writes:

      A lot of recipes call for white and/or red wine. I do not usually drink
      wine.

      How long will the wine last after it is opened? I assume that it should be
      kept in the refrigerator.

      What could I use as a substitute? I hate the thought of having to make a lot
      of recipes just because they call for the wine and I am too chep to throw it
      out because I didn't use it all.

      Thanks

      Carol

      net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

    • mnjaa@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
        Buy a bottle of each, not too cheap. A generic table wine would be fine, or a cabernet sauvignon or merlot for red and a riesling for the white...except for fish, vermouth is good for fish, but so is reisling. I personally don't like the flavor of chardonnay in cooking. There are a lot of very acceptable wines under $10. Be careful of the $5 bottles. Some are fine, but if you don't know what you are buying you could get something icky! DO NOT BUY cooking wine...that is awful!

        Anyway, once you have it you can freeze it in ice cube trays and use it as you need it....

        If you don't like it you can substitute chicken broth for white and beef broth for red. You will have a different flavor than you would with wine, but my mother doesn't drink at all and always substitutes broth and likes it fine. The broth doesn't tenderize the meat like wine can, but with slow cooking you won't need t worry about it.

        Good luck.
        Marj

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2009

          I have enjoyed reading all about how to choose a wine.
          Very informative.
          For leftover wine, you can make jelly from it to keep from
          wasting it.
          Ann