Re: [slowcooker] Question about white wind

  • Charlotte
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
      No, it does not need to be refigerated. I would recommend 2 different (although you could get away with 1) wines. A sherry is about multipurposed. The other wine would be vermouth.
      Ask one of the sales people help you find a good cheap wine in a large bottle for the sherry. It should last quite a while.
      A recipe I use the sherry in is french onion soup. Make carmelized onions, put in a container. To make the soup, place some of the onions in a bowl, add beef broth, a splash of sherry, a pinch of herbs du province and nuke until hot. Eat with a salad & fresh bread. You can put a chunk of bread in the bottom of the bowl before adding anything.

      Charlotte
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 3, 2009, at 3:46 PM, "Carol Savant" <carolsa@...> wrote:

      A lot of recipes call for white and/or red wine.

      Thanks

      Carol
    • siharmon@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
        Wine lifetime basically depends on the conditions it is stored. I use the
        little wine saver vacuum stoppers. Refrigeration will help, but it is oxygen
        that does them in.

        There are two other options. The first is to buy at Walmart. In Dallas, they
        are selling several good Australian (Lindemann vinyards) reds and whites for
        about $4 a bottle. Heck, the Wal Mart Chardonnay at about $3 a bottle just
        placed first in a blind tasting in San Francisco. At that price, you can chunk
        the remainder ... or use it for fruit fly bait.

        The second option is to buy half bottles, if you just can't stand to throw
        stuff out. They won't save you much money, though. Most upscale groceries or
        wine shops will handle them.

        There are substitutes in the cook books, but I've never tried them. The wine
        taste is usually worth the effort to use it, in my opinion.

        Scott

        In a message dated 2/3/2009 4:13:17 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        carolsa@... writes:

        A lot of recipes call for white and/or red wine. I do not usually drink
        wine.

        How long will the wine last after it is opened? I assume that it should be
        kept in the refrigerator.

        What could I use as a substitute? I hate the thought of having to make a lot
        of recipes just because they call for the wine and I am too chep to throw it
        out because I didn't use it all.

        Thanks

        Carol

        net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

      • mnjaa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
          Buy a bottle of each, not too cheap. A generic table wine would be fine, or a cabernet sauvignon or merlot for red and a riesling for the white...except for fish, vermouth is good for fish, but so is reisling. I personally don't like the flavor of chardonnay in cooking. There are a lot of very acceptable wines under $10. Be careful of the $5 bottles. Some are fine, but if you don't know what you are buying you could get something icky! DO NOT BUY cooking wine...that is awful!

          Anyway, once you have it you can freeze it in ice cube trays and use it as you need it....

          If you don't like it you can substitute chicken broth for white and beef broth for red. You will have a different flavor than you would with wine, but my mother doesn't drink at all and always substitutes broth and likes it fine. The broth doesn't tenderize the meat like wine can, but with slow cooking you won't need t worry about it.

          Good luck.
          Marj

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2009

            I have enjoyed reading all about how to choose a wine.
            Very informative.
            For leftover wine, you can make jelly from it to keep from
            wasting it.
            Ann