seasonings for chicken?

  • Kristi Foret
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
      Hi!
      I am needing ideas for seasoning boneless chicken in the crockpot....I will be making several meals that require pre-cooked chicken and don't want to boil the chicken, since it has little taste....
      I have cooked chicken in the crock using a packet of taco mix but that's not exactly the flavor I am wanting at this time.....
      Something that tastes good and that I can use for different chicken recipes (fettuccine, alfredo, pasta shells, etc.)

      Thanks!!!
      kristi

      =^..^= kitty

    • sandi
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
        Why not use some chicken bouillon?

        Since you are going the italian route, why not Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, garlic, onion?

        Sandi fiance to Timothy Ray
        Read of our journey with Brain Cancer at
        www.caringbridge.org/visit/timothybennett

      • weightloss4uowner@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
          Off the top of my head, you can use barbeque sauce, any cream soup, Italian dressing, you can buy seasoning that is specific for chicken (this is made with several spices), chicken broth with carrots and celery added, hot sauce (I haven't tried this in the crock pot yet, but I do use it under the broiler ... that's about all I can think of right now.

          Judy

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
            I either use broth, or plain water and season after cooking.

            --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Kristi Foret <kittyforet@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            > I am needing ideas for seasoning boneless chicken in the
            crockpot....I will be making several meals that require pre-cooked
            chicken and don't want to boil the chicken, since it has little taste....
            > I have cooked chicken in the crock using a packet of taco mix but
            that's not exactly the flavor I am wanting at this time.....
            > Something that tastes good and that I can use for different chicken
            recipes (fettuccine, alfredo, pasta shells, etc.)

            > Thanks!!!
            > kristi
            >
            > =^..^= kitty

          • Kay Seiler
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
              Garlic? Parsley?

              Kay

              *Grace to you!

              To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.comFrom: kittyforet@...: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 05:26:02 -0800Subject: [slowcooker] seasonings for chicken?

              Hi!I am needing ideas for seasoning boneless chicken in the crockpot....I will be making several meals that require pre-cooked chicken and don't want to boil the chicken, since it has little taste....I have cooked chicken in the crock using a packet of taco mix but that's not exactly the flavor I am wanting at this time.....Something that tastes good and that I can use for different chicken recipes (fettuccine, alfredo, pasta shells, etc.) Thanks!!!kristi=^..^= kitty [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • Debi Kirby
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
                One option that has always been popular in my household is to pour a bottle
                of creamy roasted garlic salad dressing over the chicken breasts and crock
                them. I add extra minced garlic, but for those who don't like a lot of
                garlic, there may be enough in the dressing. You will be able to tell from
                the aroma! Is very tasty with pasta, garlic, pasta and just about any sauce
                work well together. We like it that way, but other salad dressings with
                flavors you like would likely work the same way.

                Debi

                _____

                I am needing ideas for seasoning boneless chicken in the crockpot....I will
                be making several meals that require pre-cooked chicken and don't want to
                boil the chicken, since it has little taste....
                I have cooked chicken in the crock using a packet of taco mix but that's not
                exactly the flavor I am wanting at this time.....
                Something that tastes good and that I can use for different chicken recipes
                (fettuccine, alfredo, pasta shells, etc.)

                Thanks!!!
                kristi

                =^..^= kitty

                2:14 PM

              • jggroves@sbcglobal.net

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009

                    Kristi.... you have no end to all the possibilities you can season
                    your chicken with...... you can use the Lipton's dry soup
                    mixes..... to sprinkle on top of your chicken.. you can use the taco
                    seasoning mix or even the chili mixes..... even use the different
                    Mrs. Dash Seasonings ..... just travel down your seasonings isle or
                    in some places they have them or items in your breading section....
                    and they have mixes for like hot wings.....you can use that on your
                    chicken as well.... or you can just use the standard... salt, pepper,
                    garlic, paprika..... or you can go down where your salad dressings
                    are and use some of the dry packet mixes as well.....

                    cj in fla/msclassylady717
                  • Charlotte
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
                      I would go with plain old poultry seasoning, then you can add celery greens to the boiling water just like when making chicken soup.. It really pumps up the flavor yet is unobtrusive in recipes. You can save the broth, but filter it clear, for use in the recipes mentioned below. Store in 1 cup baggie size in the freezerb- for easy use (and you don't need to defrost it if you need just 2 cups of it).

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      I am needing ideas for seasoning boneless chicken in the crockpot....I will be making several meals that require pre-cooked chicken and don't want to boil the chicken, since it has little taste.....Something that tastes good and that I can use for different chicken recipes (fettuccine, alfredo, pasta shells, etc.) Thanks!!! kristi
                    • Lu Hamlin
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
                        Hi Kristi,
                        When I make poached chicken breasts, I will usually add a wee bit of
                        chicken broth and some tarragon, salt and pepper. I love the taste that
                        tarragon imparts into the chicken.

                        Lu

                        On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 05:26:02 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                        >Hi!
                        >I am needing ideas for seasoning boneless chicken in the crockpot....I will be making several meals that require pre-cooked chicken and don't want to boil the chicken, since it has little taste....
                        >I have cooked chicken in the crock using a packet of taco mix but that's not exactly the flavor I am wanting at this time.....
                        >Something that tastes good and that I can use for different chicken recipes (fettuccine, alfredo, pasta shells, etc.)

                        >Thanks!!!
                        >kristi
                        >
                        >=^..^= kitty

                      • Helene Montgomery
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
                          I love "Carl's Gourmet spices (google carlsgourmet.com in SF, CA, I think).
                          I used their Lemon Garlic which has italian spices added on chicken and pork
                          absolutely ALL the time. Also good on veggies and salads and what have
                          you.......
                          Helene M
                          Clearlake Oaks, CA
                          http://onefromthelake.blogspot.com/

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
                            I am going to chime here, and just add "Johnny's chicken seasoning" based out of Tacoma, WA. They have the best seasonings (I am on the east coast now). DONNA

                            To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.comFrom: helenem@...: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 11:49:40 -0800Subject: Re: [slowcooker] seasonings for chicken?

                            I love "Carl's Gourmet spices (google carlsgourmet.com in SF, CA, I think). I used their Lemon Garlic which has italian spices added on chicken and pork absolutely ALL the time. Also good on veggies and salads and what have you.......Helene MClearlake Oaks, CAhttp://onefromthelake.blogspot.com/----- Original Message ----- From: "Kristi Foret" <kittyforet@...>To: <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2009 5:26 AMSubject: [slowcooker] seasonings for chicken?Hi!I am needing ideas for seasoning boneless chicken in the crockpot....I will be making several meals that require pre-cooked chicken and don't want to boil the chicken, since it has little taste....I have cooked chicken in the crock using a packet of taco mix but that's not exactly the flavor I am wanting at this time.....Something that tastes good and that I can use for different chicken recipes (fettuccine, alfredo, pasta shells, etc.)Thanks!!!kristi

                          • Kristi Foret
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
                              Thanks to everyone who posted ideas for me!! I was so stuck in a rut that I couldn't think!! All of the ideas sound awesome, so I think I will try them all!! Instead of cooking one big batch with one kind of seasoning, I will go ahead and cook many batches, each with a different kind of seasoning!!

                              Thanks again!!

                              Kristi.

                              Sent from my iPhone
                              iKristi
                              =^..^=

> [...]

                            • ameliasmama2000
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
                                I'm a fan of rosemary.
                              • jlknox99
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 3, 2009
                                  I really like the Mrs. Dash style seasonings for chicken.  The garlic and herb is our favorite.  I also like to season and cook with just a little bit of broth, a sweet onion, a few cloves of chopped garlic, and a little bit of salt and pepper.  It gives it a little flavor, but won't overpower anything else you try to do with it later.

                                  ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 4, 2009
                                      Some basic staples that I always like to season with are minced onion and garlic powder. Just sprinkle a bit of both on your chicken and simmer.
                                      terri

                                      Teresa Mealer
                                      vision advocate
                                      Prevent Blindness America

                                    • Helene Montgomery
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 4, 2009
                                        I'll try it if I see it here.........thx

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 4, 2009
                                          I like to put salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paparika on
                                          top. Then I top it with olive oil sprayed or drizzled over the
                                          seasonings. My family loves it this way. I do too.
                                        • Pam In Littlerock, CA
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 4, 2009
                                            You can also purchase Johnny's seasonings online at Amazon.com
                                            http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=grocery&field-brandtextbin=Johnny%27s

                                            Take Care,
                                            Pam In Littlerock, CA

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 5, 2009
                                              Wow, thank you. They have sets on their site johnnysfineseasonings.com . I like to do 1/2 and 1/2 seasoning salt AND Mrs.Dash ground in a coffee grinder. A LITTLE Johnny's goes a long way.
                                              A set of 6 different spices is $10.99. They are very good spices. DONNA

                                              To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.comFrom: paminpalmdale@...: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 14:49:40 -0800Subject: Re: [slowcooker] seasonings for chicken?

                                              You can also purchase Johnny's seasonings online at Amazon.comhttp://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=grocery&field-brandtextbin=Johnny%27sTake Care,Pam In Littlerock, CA----- Original Message ----- From: "Helene Montgomery" <helenem@...>To: <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 10:08 AMSubject: Re: [slowcooker] seasonings for chicken?> I'll try it if I see it here.........thx> Helene M> Clearlake Oaks, CA

                                            • Donna Pyper
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 5, 2009
                                                P.S. They also have a list of 10 grocery stores where you lucky
                                                people on the west coast can buy them (wow, no shipping). DONNA

                                                To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.comFrom: paminpalmdale@...: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 14:49:40 -0800Subject: Re: [slowcooker] seasonings for chicken?

                                                You can also purchase Johnny's seasonings online at Amazon.comhttp://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=grocery&field-brandtextbin=Johnny%27sTake Care,Pam In Littlerock, CA----- Original Message ----- From: "Helene Montgomery" <helenem@...>To: <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 10:08 AMSubject: Re: [slowcooker] seasonings for chicken?> I'll try it if I see it here.........thx> Helene M> Clearlake Oaks, CA

                                              • Melissa
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 5, 2009
                                                  Can someone also tell me how to cook chicken breasts in the crockpot.
                                                  I want to precook chicken for use in salads and meals but don't know
                                                  how long to cook them in the crockpot. Can I just use seasonings? or
                                                  do I have to put in a liquid too?
                                                • Sharon Janics
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 5, 2009
                                                    Melissa; I'd just cook mine from frozen. I wouldn't add any liquids.  Usually with my new crock (cooks hot) I can put them in frozen and cook them on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 or 4 hours and they are perfect.  I usually sprinkle on some poultry seasonings if I want something on them that isn't too taste specific (eg. you could use taco seasoning but that wouldn't go so good on a chicken cesar salad would it?)

                                                    Sharon

                                                    ________________________________
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 5, 2009
                                                      Today I cooked 9 boneless breasts in the crockpot and they smell so yummy!!
                                                      I bought a packet of Good Seasonings dry salad dressing mix, cheese garlic flavor. Can't wait to taste it!!! I will use it in chiken fettucine, chicken noodle casserole, chicken Alfredo, and pasta.
                                                      When I want a Mexican twist I just sprinke with a packet of taco seasoning. I cooked that Saturday and served it as fajitas, and the leftovers will become chicken chimichangas!!

                                                      I have also sprinkled it with ranch salad dressing packets and italian salad dressing packets.

                                                      All of the above taste very yummy and are easy to make!! My crock pot cooks fast so 4 hours is plenty.

                                                      Happy cooking and let me know if you do anything different so I can try that!!
                                                      Kristi

                                                      Sent from my iPhone
                                                      iKristi
                                                      =^..^=

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 5, 2009
                                                        Sorry Melissa, I forgot to say I cook for 4 hours on low heat. I put a layer of chicken, then dry mix, an keep layering til I run out..,,

                                                        You can always add a small amount of water to prevent it from drying out but I haven't had that problem yet.
                                                        Kristi

                                                        Sent from my iPhone
                                                        iKristi
                                                        =^..^=

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jan 5, 2009
                                                          Melissa,

                                                          You can "poach" them in the crock with some broth/water and whatever seasonings you like.  Toss them in and cook 3 to 4 hours on low.  My crock runs hot, so they are usually done in this amount of time.
                                                           The Cardinal Conundrum:

                                                          An Optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
                                                          A pessimist fears this is true.

                                                          -Page 30 of The Complete Murphy's Law

                                                          ________________________________
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jan 5, 2009
                                                            Place your chicken breasts in the slow cooker, fresh or frozen,
                                                            and cover with a supermarket generic marinade...I prefer "jerk"
                                                            or "southwestern"....Cook until the chicken reaches an internal
                                                            temperature of 180F to 190F....(You will need a little pocket
                                                            thermometer)....Or about 4-5 hours with the newer "faster cooking"
                                                            cookers....Quite simple and uncomplicated.....Pumps
                                                          • fredquagliana
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
                                                              For chicken I like to use some poultry seasoning w/some Herbs de
                                                              Provence. Very aromatic and pleasantly tasting. Also some kosher
                                                              salt and crushed black pepper.

                                                              Fred Q

                                                              --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, TERESA MEALER <tamealer@...>