Recipe(s) Request

  • Billie Jo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
      I am looking for recipes that are cheap and make a decent amount of food. We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children) that eat pretty hearty and have a need for at least 1 meals worth of left-overs. Crock pot is my preferred method of cooking, particularly right now since I am pregnant and cannot stand for long periods of time.

      We are about done with beans and soups so I am looking more for other meal options. We will be trying more bean recipes though at the moment and I plan on making a big pot of Chicken soup later.

      I have a 6qt Oval crock pot to use.

       Billie Jo

    • jlknox99
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
        Billie Jo,

        Congrats on the baby!  One of my favorite websites for frugal cooking is www.hillbillyhousewife.com  we have used many of the recipes there and have enjoyed all of them.  Most recipes can be adapted to the crockpot.  Have you looked through the archives for this group?  There are some excellent recipes there.  I also have a 6qt pot, and have found I have to really be careful to keep it full or things will burn.  Have you tried freezing big batches ahead of time?  That can also simplify things with a baby on the way.

        Some of our favorite crock meals are beef stew, Italian beef, pulled pork, pork in mushroom gravy, and meat sauce for pasta.  Do any of these sound good to you?

        I'll be making the beef stew tomorrow, so will post that recipe for you now.  The ingredients are variable, so just work with what you have, but this is how we like it.

        1 to 2lbs beef roast, cut into small cubes
        6-7 potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
        1lb carrots, peeled and sliced
        2 sweet onions, chopped large
        2 cloves garlic, chopped
        1 can diced tomatoes
        1 t dried basil
        2 t worcestershire sauce
        black pepper

        just before serving:
        1T cornstarch
        1/3 cup cool water

        Toss this all into your crock and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.  About 30 minutes before serving, turn it up to High, stir well.  Drizzle in your smooth mixture of starch and water and stir to combine.  It will thicken into a nice gravy.

        Jenny in MS

        ________________________________
        I am looking for recipes that are cheap and make a decent amount of food. We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children) that eat pretty hearty and have a need for at least 1 meals worth of left-overs. Crock pot is my preferred method of cooking, particularly right now since I am pregnant and cannot stand for long periods of time.

        We are about done with beans and soups so I am looking more for other meal options. We will be trying more bean recipes though at the moment and I plan on making a big pot of Chicken soup later.

        I have a 6qt Oval crock pot to use.

         Billie Jo

      • Florence MacMillan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
          Go for crock pot chili, Billie Jo (if it's not too spicy for you right now.) You can make enough for two meals or more with only a pound of hamburger or ground turkey. Then you have the option of serving it in a bowl with crackers or corn bread, or over pasta with cheese on top as a chili-getti/chili-roni type thing, on hot dogs as chili dogs, or covered in cheese and eaten like a dip with tortilla chips. We've eaten chili in all of these ways and love it all year round.
          Flo
          Westminster CA

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
            Chili is never too spicy for me. Yes I have heartburn but not alot. Though we don't eat a whole lot of chili right now because we are living in the sub tropics and it is just difficult to want chili too often. When I do make it I make a full crock pot of it (6qts) and will eat on it for a week LOL. The other issue is my 5yr old is suddenly not eating anything with tomatoes in it.

             Billie Jo

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2009
              Just had to chime in here about the new mom-to-be making up meals ahead. If
              you are nursing, keep in mind that tomato based products, onions, and garlic
              all come thru the breast milk. Some babies are finicky and taste the
              difference. But almost ALL will have gas from these ingredients. Also, if
              you are cooking ahead to use later in your pregnancy, remember that those
              ingredients can increase heartburn.

            • Billie Jo
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2009
                I eat so much of these things in my diet already that my first didn't have any issues with my breastmilk. I have only minor heartburn and have since I was around 15 weeks and these things don't seem to increase the amount (for me at least).

                 Billie Jo

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2009
                  Billie Jo,

                  Try this site:

                  http://www.momsbudget.com/slowcooker/index.html

                  I can't vouch for the quality of the recipes, but they look familiar.

                  Best wishes,
                  Chupa
                • TERESA MEALER
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 10, 2009
                    I also tried this site and loved it. I just couldn't find where to join. I am blind. Could you help me?
                    thank's,
                    terri

                    Teresa Mealer
                    vision advocate