Re: [slowcooker] Parmesan/Spinach & Barley Casserole (in the Crockpot!)

  • MEBlackBear@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
      In a message dated 9/30/2008 10:30:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      fuzzyacres1@... writes:

      Will you give a review please.....it sounds great, and I love my meat also,
      but for a change, do meatless sometimes.Donna

      Hi All! I made it and it is delicious! I cooked it all night on low (was
      probably a bit too long) but it still has all the wonderful flavors with the
      leek very noticeable yet not strong if you know what I mean?

      The 32 ounces of broth (I used low sodium/low fat chicken broth) and will
      probably add just a tad more broth OR reduce the amount of barley by a 1/2 cup
      instead. The red (kidney) beans -- I think next time I'll add another small
      can as it looks mostly like puffed up barley.

      This morning I shut the crockpot off and folded in the baby spinach and left
      it (as it was plenty hot) and it wilted. As I was putting some into a
      container to warm up for my lunch in here naturally I had to taste it and I really
      liked it. :) Very easy to throw together and delicious even though there's
      no 'meat.' Plenty of fiber though! LOL!!!! For me -- it'll definitely be a
      keeper/make again 'dish.' :) Lorraine

      A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
      Lorraine & Dogs!

    • MEBlackBear@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2008
        Hi all... I made this again on Sunday afternoon. This time I only cooked it
        for 3 hours on high. Just folded in the baby spinach at the end but did NOT
        continue to cook as it was so hot it wilted as was. I also added a second
        can of red kidney beans. I had a small dish for breakfast () yesterday and
        have a small dish in here for my lunch today. Talk about a 'lot' of fiber!
        Just thought I'd do a 'follow-up' on this. Lorraine (in Maine)