RE: [slowcooker] Parmesan/Spinach & Barley Casserole (in the Crockpot!)

  • DONNA RUSSELL
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2008
      Will you give a review please.....it sounds great, and I love my meat also, but for a change, do meatless sometimes.Donna

      To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com; casseroles_and_crockpots@yahoogroups.comFrom: MEBlackBear@...: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:09:06 -0400Subject: [slowcooker] Parmesan/Spinach & Barley Casserole (in the Crockpot!)

      Makes 6 servings -- Ideal sized crockpot: 4-quartFrom: Fix-It and Forget-It Slow-cooker MagicThis is a hearty meatless recipe and sounds absolutely delicious to me! Don't get me wrong, I'm a true carnivore and love me meat and spuds. :) This sounded like a nice change from meats and fish and poultry. I'm going to throw it in the crockpot tonight and see how it comes out in the morning (for my lunches). :) Lorraine in Maine32 oz. container vegetable or chicken broth (they used Swanson)16 oz. can red beans, rinsed & drained8 oz. pkg. pre-sliced fresh mushrooms1-1/2 cups uncooked, fine barley (I have pearl barley which I'll use)1-1/2 cups sliced leek1 cup chopped onion1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning1/2 tsp. pepper1/2 tsp. salt6 oz. pkg. fresh baby spinach3/4 cup finely shredded fresh parmesan cheese1. Place first 9 ingredients in crockpot, stir well. Cover and cook on high 3 hours or low 6 to 8 hours. 2. Add spinach. Cover and cook 15 minutes more; stir well (spinach will wilt). Sprinkle each serving with cheese.A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour. -----------------------Lorraine & Dogs! **************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators. (http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • MEBlackBear@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
        In a message dated 9/30/2008 10:30:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        fuzzyacres1@... writes:

        Will you give a review please.....it sounds great, and I love my meat also,
        but for a change, do meatless sometimes.Donna

        Hi All! I made it and it is delicious! I cooked it all night on low (was
        probably a bit too long) but it still has all the wonderful flavors with the
        leek very noticeable yet not strong if you know what I mean?

        The 32 ounces of broth (I used low sodium/low fat chicken broth) and will
        probably add just a tad more broth OR reduce the amount of barley by a 1/2 cup
        instead. The red (kidney) beans -- I think next time I'll add another small
        can as it looks mostly like puffed up barley.

        This morning I shut the crockpot off and folded in the baby spinach and left
        it (as it was plenty hot) and it wilted. As I was putting some into a
        container to warm up for my lunch in here naturally I had to taste it and I really
        liked it. :) Very easy to throw together and delicious even though there's
        no 'meat.' Plenty of fiber though! LOL!!!! For me -- it'll definitely be a
        keeper/make again 'dish.' :) Lorraine

        A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
        Lorraine & Dogs!

      • MEBlackBear@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2008
          Hi all... I made this again on Sunday afternoon. This time I only cooked it
          for 3 hours on high. Just folded in the baby spinach at the end but did NOT
          continue to cook as it was so hot it wilted as was. I also added a second
          can of red kidney beans. I had a small dish for breakfast () yesterday and
          have a small dish in here for my lunch today. Talk about a 'lot' of fiber!
          Just thought I'd do a 'follow-up' on this. Lorraine (in Maine)