Cooking for a crowd

  • deb62862
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2008
      I have a question for all you great cooks out there. I have been hired
      by my church to prepare a weekly dinner for about 100 - 125 folks of
      all ages. I have no experience with cooking for such crowds, but I
      love to cook and that's why they asked me.

      I have menus planned for the first few weeks, but I'd love to have
      other ideas. If any of you have recipes that would feed a crowd or
      have experience with this type of large quantity cooking, I'd love to
      here your input. As easy as it would be to throw something in the
      slowcooker every week, its not possible because I don't have enough
      slowcookers or electrical outlets for that many mouths!

      I realize this is an off topic question, so please respond through
      email instead of the list.

      Thanks in advance for your help.
    • LaRena
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27, 2008
         Ik
        I don't usually get time to post.  But I saw your post and thought I would reply.  There are a couple of cook books out there that you can find that are cooking for a crowd.  I can't remember which one we used for church when we did large meals.

        A few I can think of is Spaghetti.  Don't cook the pasta in the crook pot though.  I think we used several (I think they are called) roaster's.  You can do different kinds of chilli (beef, chicken, multiple bean).  Soups are always good.  My church usually does crockpot soup suppers for lent.  There is also one and I am not exactly sure of the ingredients (maybe someone else can help me out.  It uses ground beef and elbow macaroni with tomatoes and marinara sauce.  I usually add a bit of oregeno, garlic, onions and fresh parsley.

         I found these links to cooking for a crowd.  You would just need to tweak some of the recipes for the crockpot.
        http://recipesforacrowd.com/
        http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,large_group,FF.html
        http://whatscookin.proboards4.com/index.cgi?board=groups
        Hope this is in some way helpful
        LaRena

      • gail giggi
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 27, 2008
          If you have TV Food network try watching "Dinner Impossible". A chef is given the task of cooking for large groups of people in different settings. You can pick up recipe ideas or adapt menu items to your situation. Alot of receipes can be adapted to the crockpot as well.

          To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.comFrom: dflack628@...: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:59:48 +0000Subject: [slowcooker] Cooking for a crowd