Slow-Cooked Swiss Steak

  • King's Crown
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2008
      Made it last week and it was SO good and easy. I make something very
      similar to this on the stove, and there were only 2 things different. I
      added them to this recipe ... a 1 scant tablespoon of Worchestershire sauce
      and 1 bay leaf. I served this with egg noodles and steamed carrots.
      Fabulous meal.

      Lynne

      Slow-Cooked Swiss Steak
      Serves 6

      This is so tender and rich tasting. I used the left over flour mixture and
      made a slurry and added to the pot to make it a little thicker. I like my
      gravy thicker. I cooked mine about 7 hours and it was nice and done. I got
      this recipe from Taste of Home's Slow Cooker Favorites and it was submitted
      by Kathie Morris, Redmond, Oregon.

      Ingredients:

      3/4 cup all-purpose flour
      1 teaspoon pepper
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      2 to 2 1/2 pounds boneless round steak
      1 to 2 tablespoons butter
      1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
      1 1/3 cups water
      1 cup sliced celery, optional
      1/2 cup chopped onion
      1 clove garlic, minced
      1 to 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules

      In a shallow bowl, combine flour, pepper and salt. Cut steak into six
      serving-size pieces; dredge in flour mixture. In a skillet, brown steak in
      butter. Transfer to a slow cooker. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour
      over steak. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or until the meat is
      tender.