Re: beef stew

  • concepcion61
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
      --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie" <stephie67@...> wrote:

      > The other day (for the first time)I threw together stew in the crockpot
      > and after 12 hours (8 hours on low 4 hours on high) it still wasn't
      > fully cooked. Any thoughts?

      Are you sure the meat wasn't done? Beef cooked in the crock pot
      doesn't get brown on the inside.

      Check with a meat thermometer--you may have to spear several cubes of
      meat on it to get an accurate reading. But the odds are, it was just fine.
    • melekini49@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
        Gee, I usually do beef stew in the crockpot. I do flour it and brown it
        first in a little bit of oil. Then I throw the meat and everything else into the
        crockpot. I put the carrots on the bottom and then the potatoes. The other
        stuff like celery and onions I just throw in with the meat. I cook it for about
        6-8 hours on auto. MJ

        In a message dated 3/7/2008 2:58:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        lspringer61@... writes:

        --- In _slowcooker@yahoogroslowcoo_ (mailto:slowcooker@yahoogroups.com) ,
        "Stephanie" <stephie67@.st> wrote:

        > The other day (for the first time)I threw together stew in the crockpot
        > and after 12 hours (8 hours on low 4 hours on high) it still wasn't
        > fully cooked. Any thoughts?

        Are you sure the meat wasn't done? Beef cooked in the crock pot
        doesn't get brown on the inside.

        Check with a meat thermometer-Check with a meat thermometer-<WBR>
        meat on it to get an accurate reading. But the odds are, it was just fine.

      • nutsymtmom
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
          What do you mean by not done? Was the meat still gray (it won't brown
          in liquid)? Was the meat red on the inside? Were the veggies still
          hard? This might help to pinpoint the problem?

          Kay
          WV

          --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie" <stephie67@...> wrote:

          > The other day (for the first time)I threw together stew in the
          crockpot
          > and after 12 hours (8 hours on low 4 hours on high) it still wasn't
          > fully cooked. Any thoughts?

        • Stephanie
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
            The meat was done just fine it was the vegtables, potatoes carrots that
            were still on the hard side.

            --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "concepcion61" <lspringer61@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie" <stephie67@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The other day (for the first time)I threw together stew in the
            crockpot
            > > and after 12 hours (8 hours on low 4 hours on high) it still wasn't
            > > fully cooked. Any thoughts?
            > >
            > Are you sure the meat wasn't done? Beef cooked in the crock pot
            > doesn't get brown on the inside.
            >
            > Check with a meat thermometer--you may have to spear several cubes of
            > meat on it to get an accurate reading. But the odds are, it was just
            fine.

          • Kay Seiler
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
              Based on my own experience, it sounds like an issue of moisture and/or chunk size. Those veggies need to be at the bottom in the liquid, and the chunks shouldn't be real big.

              Kay

              God is good!

              To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.comFrom: stephie67@...: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 22:26:20 +0000Subject: [slowcooker] Re: beef stew

              The meat was done just fine it was the vegtables, potatoes carrots that were still on the hard side.--- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "concepcion61" <lspringer61@...> wrote:>> --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie" <stephie67@> wrote:> >> > The other day (for the first time)I threw together stew in the crockpot > > and after 12 hours (8 hours on low 4 hours on high) it still wasn't > > fully cooked. Any thoughts?> >> Are you sure the meat wasn't done? Beef cooked in the crock pot> doesn't get brown on the inside. > > Check with a meat thermometer--you may have to spear several cubes of> meat on it to get an accurate reading. But the odds are, it was just fine.>

            • armstrca
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 10, 2008
                Were they on the bottom or on the top of the meat?
                They really need to be at the bottom of the cooker to get cooked
                thoroughly.