La Nueva Ropa Vieja (Beef roast recipe)

  • paulacat@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2008
      Many newspapers carry a syndicated column called Desperation Dinners.
      Recently, the following recipe was featured. They called it "a new take on a Cuban
      classic." The Cuban dish is called La Ropa Vieja which means "old
      clothes"....that doesn't SOUND too appetizing. : ) Nueva means "new." Despite the name, this
      dish is excellent!!

      I did make a small change or two which I will note but let me add this.
      Please use a red pepper and a green pepper. Normally, I would use all green if
      that's what I had, but in this dish, you can really taste the subtle difference
      between the two and it certainly contributes to the flavor of this stew-like
      dish.

      1 8-oz can tomato sauce
      1/2 C water
      3 bay leaves
      1 T red wine vinegar
      2 tsp minced garlic
      1/2 tsp ground cumin
      1/4 tsp each salt and black pepper, or to taste (I used Adobo seasoning
      instead)
      1 lg onion (for about 1 C slices)
      2 lbs skirt or flank steak or chuck roast (I used chuck)
      1 red bell pepper (for about 1 C slices)
      1 green bell pepper (for about 1 C slices)
      1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes seasoned with garlic and olive oil
      2 C cooked rice for serving

      Put tomato sauce, water, bay leaves, cumin, vinegar, garlic and s&p into pot
      and stir to combine. Peel onion, cut into quarters, then slice thinly. Add to
      pot. Place the beef over the onions and spoon some liquid over it. Rinse and
      seed peppers. Cut into quarters, then slice thinly. Add to pot. Pour tomatoes,
      including juice, over all. Cover pot and cook on low 8-10 hours until meat is
      falling apart.

      Before serving, remove beef and vegetables to serving bowl. Use two forks to
      shred beef. There should be some juices in the bowl, but if not, add some from
      the pot. Stir to mix. Serve over rice.

      There is a soup recipe for using any leftovers but I haven't tried that yet.
      I'll report back if I do.