Re: Why Salt ? ? ? & ReceipSalt Baked Potatoes

  • armstrca
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 4, 2007
      As an idea, somone mentioned they have used the salt in the box you
      get for making ice cram for this recipe. No binder or anything -
      just the salt

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 4, 2007
        So how long do you cook them for in the crockpot? Are the skins nice and chewy?

        Tracy A (Australia)
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 4, 2007
          I might have missed something... but i'm wondering what the purpose is to using all that salt? I have just wrapped potatoes in tin foil without water and they bake well that way.
          Aimee

          armstrca <carmstr1@...> wrote:
          I don't know - cause you don't use any liquids? All I know is that
          it works.
          http://malincholia.com/recipes/salt_potato.htm

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 5, 2007
            Please go to the link attached to the original post. It will take
            you directly to the recipe.

            So how long do you cook them for in the crockpot? Are the skins nice
            and chewy?
          • Billie Jo
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 5, 2007
              I think it is supposed to help distribute the heat and pull some of the moisture out of the potatoe to make is fluffier. But I am not sure. I know that Alton Brown discussed why you cook on a bed of salt but I am not able to find the article yet.

              Billie Jo

              To view the archives, go to http://groups. yahoo.com/ messages/ slowcooker
              To view our recipe of the month contest winners, go to http://malincholia. com/slowcookerwi nners.htm
              Copyright, 2006, Maria Rost Rublee.
              =====
              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • ottchip
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 5, 2007
                Moderator's note: Just a reminder to everyone that rather than filling up the already large archives with the same things posted over and over, please check the archives for information in a recent thread you might have missed. A link to the recipe was provided in one of the first posts
                http://malincholia.com/recipes/salt_potato.htm

                What temp and how long on the salted potatoes? I put mine in the crockpot
                with pickling salt and set the pot on high. How long do they take to cook?
                thanks, ott
              • Aimee
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 5, 2007
                  Thanks for the reply BJ :)

                  Billie Jo <marinegurl020412@...> wrote: I think it is supposed to help distribute the heat and pull some of the moisture out of the potatoe to make is fluffier. But I am not sure. I know that Alton Brown discussed why you cook on a bed of salt but I am not able to find the article yet.

                  Billie Jo

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 5, 2007
                    My experiment with the crockpot salt baked potatoes today resulted in a good
                    tasting potato with a dry outside skin and a drier, but mealier potato on
                    the inside.
                    I used canning salt. Now...the salt caked up and I had difficulty getting
                    the potatoes free from it without breaking some of them. That meant that
                    salt got into the potato as I fought to remove them while the skins were not
                    crispy so it I had to use a cloth to sort of wipe and roll the salt off the
                    skins. The total result was a salty potato due to the breakage of the skin
                    on removal from the caked salt in the pot. The potato tasted fine to me and
                    one of the mothers who sampled it when she picked up her children.
                    What should I have done differently? Can the salt be somehow dried and
                    reused or throw it away?
                    thank you,
                    ott
                  • mnjaa@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 5, 2007
                      When I used this method sometime back I found the salt formed a hard crust, but when I chipped through it I was able to remove the potatoes intact by dumping the crock upside down on a tea towel. I dried the salt in my roaster on low in the oven, broke it ups ome with my potatoe masher and stored it in a big ziploc bag. I have used it twice so far.
                      Marj