RE: [slowcooker] Re: Do you have a TNT overnight breakfast recipe?

  • Pam Bridger
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
      Depends on the recipe and ingredients. There was one someone submitted
      for a blueberry coffee cake type of dish that looked pretty safe with
      that in mind.

      On the other hand, you could, of course, cook it in the crock over night
      and then carry it to work that way - not quite as convenient, but pretty
      efficient.

      Pam

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2007
        Keep in mind that you are about to cook the food for 8 hours at 180+
        degrees. Even if some bacteria grew in the food before you cooked it, they
        would be long dead by the time you finished. Think about it this way:
        Nothing is more vile and ridden with bacteria than a raw chicken from the
        grocery store, yet no one thinks twice about eating it after 8 hours in the
        crockpot.

        > Leaving perishable food without refrigeration and without being heated for
        > so many hours would be dangerous.

      • Linda
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2007
          Moderator's note: This is non-crockpot related so would anyone interested in the recipe please contact Linda offlist about getting a copy of the yummy sounding alternative. Thanks.

          I have one for a carmel butter pecan. You put frozen rolls in the
          bundt pan and leave overnight. Doesn't use a crock pot though.It's a
          great recipe! Would that hellp?
          Linda

          --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "Pam Bridger" <bridger3@...> wrote:

          > Depends on the recipe and ingredients. There was one someone submitted
          > for a blueberry coffee cake type of dish that looked pretty safe with
          > that in mind.
          >

          > On the other hand, you could, of course, cook it in the crock over night
          > and then carry it to work that way - not quite as convenient, but pretty
          > efficient.
          >

          > Pam

        • Judy Cramer
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2007
            That was my concern, finding a recipe that would take that length of
            time. SO I was thinking, what if I mixed it all up and froze it? I
            could put the frozen block into the crockpot and turn it on at 6pm?

            Maybe I'll just bring a bag of Mcdonalds breakfast burritos.

            --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "deb62862" <Deb62862@...> wrote:

            > If you work sort of normal office hours, that means you might be
            > setting it up at around 5 p.m., but not eating it until the next day,
            > around 8 a.m. That's fifteen hours of cooking time, which is quite a
            > bit, even in a slowcooker.
            >
            > That said, here is a recipe from the Reynolds website that we tried
            > and liked. I did not use the slowcooker liner, as indicated in the
            > recipe. I never do. I simply spray the stoneware with non-stick
            > cooking spray.
            >
            > Slow Cooker Spinach & Bacon Breakfast Casserole
            >

            > 1 Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner
            >
            > 4 cups (about 5 slices) white bread, cubed
            >
            > 1 box (10 oz.) frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
            >
            > 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
            >
            > 2 cups blended shredded cheese, divided
            >
            > 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
            >
            > 1/4 cup onion, chopped
            >
            > 1 can (10.75 oz) cream of celery soup
            >
            > 5 eggs
            >
            > 1/2 cup evaporated milk
            >
            > 1/2 teaspoon each salt and dry mustard
            >
            > 1/8 teaspoon pepper
            >

            > OPEN slow cooker liner and place it inside a 5- to 6 1/2 -quart slow
            > cooker bowl. Fit liner snugly against the bottom and sides of bowl;
            > pull top of liner over rim of bowl.
            >
            > MIX bread, spinach, bacon, 1 2/3 cups cheese, bell pepper and onion
            > in a large bowl; pour into lined- slow cooker bowl. Whisk together
            > the soup, eggs, milk, salt, dry mustard and pepper in the large bowl.
            > Pour egg mixture over bread mixture; stir gentle with plastic or
            > wooden spoon to combine. Place lid on slow cooker. Refrigerate at
            > least 3 hours or overnight.
            >
            > COOK on LOW for 6 to 7 hours OR on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.
            >
            > CAREFULLY remove lid to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle with
            > remaining cheese. Let set with lid off for 15 minutes until cheese is
            > melted. Serve casserole directly from lined-slow cooker. Do not lift
            > or transport liner with food inside. Cool slow cooker completely;
            > remove liner and toss.
            >
            > Number of Servings: 8
            >
            > > I'd like to set it up at the office when we leave and have it
            > waiting
            > > for a breakfast party the next day. Any ideas?

          • WAC
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
              Moderator's note: Food safety with the slowcooker is a constant subject of debate on which there is never universal agreement, but also an important one.

              Since I think at this point we've got both sides out there, to be fair to anyone trying to figure it out, with plenty more in the archives for anyone really interested, other than to answer a specific question (such as the original poster's follow-up question about using frozen) could we please just agree to disagree at this point. Thanks.

              Your analogy isn't accurate. The chicken hasn't been kept unrefrigerated for 8 hours prior to cooking.

              Perishable foods such as milk, eggs, and meat will being to spoil when left without refrigeration for that long. No amount of cooking at any temperature will correct the spoilage.

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 22, 2007
                Dear Judy,

                This is very late and not TNT! However, it was in my mail today and it
                may be of interest for a future event.

                Crockpot Breakfast Cobbler

                4 medium-size apples, peeled and sliced
                1/4 cup honey
                1 teaspoon cinnamon
                2 tablespoons butter, melted
                2 cups granola cereal

                Spray inside of crockpot with nonstick spray. Place apples in slow
                cooker and mix in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to
                9 hours, or overnight (alternately, cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours).

                Serve with milk.

                Makes 4 servings.

                Crockin' Around the Christmas Tree!

                Myron

                Judy Cramer wrote:

                >I'd like to set it up at the office when we leave and have it waiting
                >for a breakfast party the next day. Any ideas?

                '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
                Greetings from Daytona Beach, Florida |
                \ /
                ~, .-'-.
                Myron Menaker