Chicken New Orleans

  • creiki
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
      Chicken New Orleans

      This is from 365 One Dish Meals. Crock pot!

      4 servings
      6½ hours 20 min prep
      2 (1 ounce) packages bearnaise sauce mix
      1/2 cup dry white wine
      1/2 teaspoon tarragon
      1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
      1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
      3 shallots, minced
      1 lb cooked ham, cut in 1 inch chunks
      1 red bell pepper, chopped
      1 lb red potatoes, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
      9 ounces frozen artichokes, halves thawed
      1 lb chicken breast tenders

      Turn crock pot on high while preparing ingredients.
      In crock pot, mix together both packages of bearnaise sauce mix,
      wine, tarragon, tumeric and garlic powder until well blended.
      Add shallots, ham, red pepper, potatoes artichokes and chicken. Stir
      gently.
      Cover, reduce heat setting to low and cook 6 hours.
    • Ensars Mama
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
        do you ladies think this would work with lemon juice instead of the alcohol. im muslim so I don't do alcohol and ill use smoked beef instead of the ham. but I was just wondering about a good sub for the wine.....
        thanks
        Lori

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2007
          Vege stocks or beef or chicken (which may not suit you either) are a good substitute for wine.

          Tracy A (Australia)
[...]

        • Chris Owens-Polski
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2007
            Hello, I'm a Girl Scout Leader who has several recipes that call for wine that have had to be modified - either for the girls or at events :) Typically there are a few things you can do depending on what is available to you. I live in the DC area so I have access to perhaps more that you might.

            Substitute dry white grape juice - there are a few varieties out there that are the unfermented grape juice that work just as well and no alcohol. You could also go to a wine store and ask one of those knowledgeable about dry white wines, explain that you are cooking and do not wish to use alcohol - do they have a alcohol-less wine (think near-beer and non-alcoholic) or a sub they would recommend.

            Substitute smoked turkey instead of the beef, the beef will be too heavy and you are really looking for a lighter flavor. You get the same general taste as the ham but do not need to sacrifice your beliefs.

            Chrissie

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2007
              You might try chicken broth instead of the white wine. I think that much
              lemon juice would overpower the seasonings.

              On 9/5/07, Ensars Mama <haxhajfamily@...> wrote:

              > do you ladies think this would work with lemon juice instead of the
              > alcohol. im muslim so I don't do alcohol and ill use smoked beef instead of
              > the ham. but I was just wondering about a good sub for the wine.....
              > thanks
              > Lori

            • Kim
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 5, 2007
                Lori,

                I would use chicken broth instead of the alcohol. I believe 1/2 cup of
                lemon juice would change the flavor too much and make it a very tart dish.

                Kim

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 5, 2007
                  I have not made this, but I think lemon juice might be too strong a flavor. I would substitute chicken broth. That is almost always a good substitute for white wine in this kind of recipe.
                  Marj

                  From: "Ensars Mama" <haxhajfamily@...>

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 5, 2007
                    > think this would work with lemon juice instead of the alcohol? <

                    Anything acidic should work, though lemon juice alone wouldn't give as
                    much liquid as 1/2 cup of wine. You could add water to the lemon
                    juice though.

                    Another substitute for wine can be white grape juice or red grape
                    juice since grapes wine is made from grapes. There'll be more sugar
                    in most commercial juices though, but probably wouldn't matter too
                    much ...you could add a bit of vinegar to offset that and add a touch
                    of sourness like wine, and/or you could leave out any other sugar
                    called for in a recipe.

                    Or you could just use vinegar or a flavored vinegar.

                    Report back!

                    Diane B.
                  • Bruce Terwilliger
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Lori

                      I sure that you could substitute water or beef broth for the wine. It seems that it is the only liquid ingredient. I think 1/2 cup of lemon juice would just be over powering in taste.

                      Bruce - a N J lurker