Some Some Money Saving Idea's for our Crock Pot meals

  • CissySews@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2007
      I just read the recipe for the breakfast casserole, needing frozen hash
      brown potato's. This looks like a fabulous recipe for a crowd and I'm going to
      try to half it and try it for my family of four.

      Some Money Saving Hints:

      When I'm at the end of the bag of potato's and they begin to soften, I wash
      them but I don't peel them, and just blanch them (blanch means to just boil
      them a bit, (basically until they are half done or even before that) and I
      drain them. Then dry the potatoes on the counter, either with a dry towel or
      paper towels or a collander. Then I put them in the freezer in a zip-lock
      bag, which I use again for the same thing. I also start to throw in any small
      left over onions that I have. Then, I don't have to buy frozen hash browns.

      My girlfriend, Ruth, told me she freezes her over ripened bananas, so that
      when she has a recipe that calls for banana's she has them ready and doesn't
      have to go out to buy them. Example: Banana bread.

      I also freeze tomatoes that are going soft as well as bell peppers too.

      When my meals are over and I have a spoon or two of vegetables, I start a
      container and just keep adding to them, so that when I make soup I have most
      all I need for the vegetable part of the recipe.

      Just some saving ideas. Hope this helps others and gives others some idea's
      for our list.

      -Susan Hayes
      Maryland

    • KathleenSews
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2007
        Put vegetable trimmings in a bag in the freezer: potato peels,
        tomato cores, carrot peels, celery leaves, head lettuce and
        cabbage cores, etc. Make sure there are no bad spots. When
        bag is full, throw into crockpot and cover with water. Cook on
        low overnight or while at work.

        Cool a bit then strain. Discard veggies. Use stock for soups,
        stews, etc. It is sooooo much better than canned broth or
        boullion.

        Broth can be frozen until needed. I use square freezer
        containers, measure out 1 Cup into each and, when frozen,
        store in 2 freezer bags (one inside the other). Be sure to put
        some in ice cube trays so, when a recipe calls for 1/4 or 1/2 Cup
        broth, you can just defrost a few in the microwave.

        You can make your own chicken broth, too. I cover the chicken
        with water in the crockpot and add a few peppercorns and some
        celery tops. I cook on low for 8-12 hours.

        Strain and freeze the broth. Cut up or shread the chicken and
        use immediately or properly wrap and freeze.

        ---
        Kathleen Chevalier
        northern Virginia, USA
      • June
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2007
          --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, CissySews@... wrote:

          > I just read the recipe for the breakfast casserole, needing frozen
          hash
          > brown potato's. This looks like a fabulous recipe for a crowd and
          I'm going to
          > try to half it and try it for my family of four.
          >
          > Some Money Saving Hints:
          >
          > When I'm at the end of the bag of potato's and they begin to
          soften, I wash
          > them but I don't peel them, and just blanch them (blanch means to
          just boil
          > them a bit, (basically until they are half done or even before
          that) and I
          > drain them. Then dry the potatoes on the counter, either with a
          dry towel or
          > paper towels or a collander. Then I put them in the freezer in a
          zip-lock
          > bag, which I use again for the same thing. I also start to throw
          in any small
          > left over onions that I have. Then, I don't have to buy frozen
          hash browns.

          Thanks for the money saving ideas - I have to ask what you do with
          the frozen potatoes and onions to use them in place of frozen hash
          browns. I would love to use this idea as so many recipes call for
          frozen H/bs and they are not something that I buy.

          Cheers
          June