Re: [slowcooker] Round Steak

  • Carrie Watts
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2007
      Here is one that I posted previously

      On 8/2/07, deb62862 <Deb62862@...> wrote:

      > I'm looking for some TNT recipes for round steak. I have a few that I
      > rely upon (smothered steak, swiss steak), but would like something new.

    • christina hicks
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2007
        I also use round steak when I am doing fajitas. Which I have also made in the crockpot.
        Crockpot Pepper Steak
        1-1/2 to 2 lbs. steak strips I use round steak
        1/4 cup soy sauce
        1 onion, sliced
        1 clove garlic, minced
        1 tsp. sugar
        1/4 tsp. salt
        1/4 tsp. pepper
        1/4 tsp. ginger
        16-oz. can of chopped tomatoes, undrained
        2 large green peppers, sliced
        1/2 cup cold water
        1 TBSP. cornstarch
        Brown steak strips; put into crockpot. Combine the next 7 ingredients and pour over beef strips. Start out on HIGH for the first hour, then switch to LOW. Cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours. Add tomatoes and pepper. Cook for one more hour on HIGH. Combine the water and the cornstarch; stir into crockpot and cook on HIGH until thickend (about 20 minutes). Serve over rice

        Mrs. Christina Hicks
        "A friend is one who believes in you
        when you have ceased to believe in yourself."
        -Unknown

      • deb62862
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2007
          Thanks for the round steak recipes.
        • Maria T
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2007
            Hi all - I found a lovely dish. Don't know how it could be translated
            to the slow-cooker, but I'm sure someone can figure it out.

            On Friday, my boss asked me to make a reservation for him at a
            restaurant called Alsace. Finding the phone number online, I also found
            the menu, and, out of curiosity, took a peek at it. One of the
            appetizers is "petatou". Even more curious, I threw the word into
            Google, and came up with this recipe from Epicurious:

            http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/11447 (recipe posted below)

            So I tried it yesterday. Had to make a couple of adjustments: I don't
            have rings and don't like the idea of using old tuna cans, so I used a
            muffin tin. Seemed to work out just fine. And I'd used up all my
            shallots, so I substituted scallions. No problems that I could tell. I
            didn't have a "log" of cheese, but I did have spreadable goat cheese and
            used that instead. Don't think it did anything wrong from the result,
            but will try a more solid cheese next time. My tarragon, basil and
            Thyme were, indeed, fresh, straight from the planter in our front yard.
            The tiny potato salads that result are very filling (potato, cream and
            cheese, after all), and one is plenty per person.

            In addition, having messed up the separation of one egg (as always), and
            having some leftover cream sauce, combined ruined egg, the white from
            the successful separation and the cream sauce to make a very
            soft-interiored omelet. That with some home-made gazpacho, and we were
            done for the night.

            Even if this dish can't be translated for the slow cooker, it's so very
            nice, I thought I'd let people know about it.

            Maria
            elena@...

            PETATOU DE CHEVRE FRAISE AU THYME ET OLIVES NICOISES

            (Warm Potato Goat-Cheese Salads with Thyme and Ni�oise Olives)

            For basil vinaigrette:
            1 shallot, chopped fine
            2 large fresh basil leaves
            2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
            1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar*
            5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
            1 pound small Yukon Gold or red potatoes
            4 shallots, chopped fine (about 1/4 cup)
            1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
            1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
            1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
            1/2 cup Ni�oise or other brine-cured black olives, pitted
            six 3-inch metal pastry rings
            a 10-ounce log soft mild goat cheese such as Coach Farm brand, cut into 6 equal pieces
            1 cup heavy cream
            1 fresh basil leaf
            1 large egg yolk
            6 cups mesclun (mixed baby greens, about 1/2 pound), washed and spun dry
            3 tablespoons chopped fresh chervil

            Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs

            *available at specialty foods shops and some supermarkets

            Make basil vinaigrette:
            In a small bowl whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients except oil with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in oil in a stream until emulsified.

            In a 3-quart saucepan cover potatoes with 2 inches water and simmer until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain potatoes in a colander and cool. Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices and in a bowl toss gently with shallots, thyme, tarragon, parsley, 1/4 cup olives, and 2 tablespoons vinaigrette until combined well.

            Arrange pastry rings on a baking sheet. Divide potato salad among rings, layering potato slices to 1/2 inch below tops of rings, and top with goat cheese pieces, spreading cheese evenly to cover potato salad completely. Potato goat-cheese rounds may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring rounds to room temperature before proceeding.

            Preheat broiler.

            In a small saucepan simmer cream with basil leaf until reduced by about half. Whisk in yolk and salt and pepper to taste and remove pan from heat.

            Carefully remove rings from rounds and spread about 1 tablespoon cream mixture evenly over top of each round. Broil rounds on baking sheet 6 inches from heat until tops are golden.

            Toss mesclun with chervil and remaining vinaigrette and divide among 6 salad plates. Transfer warm rounds to plates with a spatula and garnish with thyme sprigs and remaining 1/4 cup olives.

            Serves 6.

            Gourmet
            You Asked For It; Park Bistro, New York NY
            February 1996

            Epicurious.com � Cond�Net, Inc. All rights reserved.
          • Kimberly
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2007
              Has anyone used the West Bend 84716 Versatility 6-Quart Oval Slo-Cooker? If so, what do you think of it? I'm going to pick up one more older slow cooker, but need something that will hold a turkey or chicken well and this one was recommended by one person. What's your favourite slow cooker for whole birds?

              walk in light and love,
              Kimberly
              The life which is unexamined is not worth living. ~Plato
            • Myron Menaker
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2007
                I have a West Bend 6-qt. oval pot and it holds a whole chicken quite
                well! A turkey would be a tight fit.....I have crocked a breast!

                Myron

                Kimberly wrote:

                >Has anyone used the West Bend 84716 Versatility 6-Quart Oval Slo-Cooker? If so, what do you think of it? I'm going to pick up one more older slow cooker, but need something that will hold a turkey or chicken well and this one was recommended by one person. What's your favourite slow cooker for whole birds?

                Myron Menaker Daytona Beach FL USA
                myronm@... |
                \ / _\/_
                Ho-hum, another day in paradise! |