RE: [slowcooker] RE: Thaw it in the sink!

  • Pat Harris
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
      It's really easy to thaw food safely without using the microwave. Submerge
      the food, in it's wrapper in cold tap water. You have to empty and refill a
      couple of times but I thaw everything that way. Never takes very long, an
      hour maybe except whole turkeys or roasts and you don't end up with cooked
      edges on a raw piece of meat. I never thaw in the micro anymore. I got
      this idea from a chemical engineer who suggested metal container and water
      but the sink works just fine.

      Pat in Tulsa

    • armstrca
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        Talking about cooking from frozen, I have cooked from frozen (solid
        as a rock) with no issues.
        But saying that, I must do the disclaimer stating you shouldn't cook
        from frozen if cooking for someone with a compromised immunity, is
        real young or real old - since their system may not combat any
        possible food poisoning well.