Re: [slowcooker] Re: Rice

  • Rita Weirich
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 4, 2007
      Hi there! I like to make rice in the crock because I don't have to watch it. I'm lucky enough to work from home, I can throw it in the pot 3 hours before dinner, and I don't have to think about it til dinner time. One less thing I have to do... and my brown rice really gets fluffy. I think the long cooking really opens the hull.

      Rita
    • Joyce Hawkes
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 4, 2007
        Rita, do you cook it on high?
        Joyce
      • ottchip
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 4, 2007
          ...so...send your rice recipe.
          please. I have never made rice in the crock. I was never that well prepared so rice was usually a quick throw together as minute rice.
          Teach me.
          ott
          Hi there! I like to make rice in the crock because I don't have to watch it. I'm lucky enough to work from home, I can throw it in the pot 3 hours before dinner, and I don't have to think about it til dinner time. One less thing I have to do... and my brown rice really gets fluffy. I think the long cooking really opens the hull.

          Rita

        • Shanna Ohmes
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 5, 2007
            --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Rita Weirich <songbird_rita@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi there! I like to make rice in the crock because I don't have to
            watch it. I'm lucky enough to work from home, I can throw it in the
            pot 3 hours before dinner, and I don't have to think about it til
            dinner time. One less thing I have to do... and my brown rice really
            gets fluffy. I think the long cooking really opens the hull.

            > Rita

            do you put your crockpot on low or high? to cook the rice for 3
            hours? i also like brown rice, and it takes about 40 minutes or more
            to cook on the stove, which i don't have time for right now because i
            have a job. and i don't use/own a microwave. thanks
            shanna
          • Rita Weirich
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 5, 2007
              I put the crock on low, but mine cooks pretty hot...

              Rita

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
                  Dianne, that is my thought as well. In the chicken recipe I did today, from the group, I precooked the chicken breasts in a pressure cooker from frozen state, then continued with the recipe. The precooking of the chicken took the time way down. I assume the flavors would have had more time to blend had I used the full 3hours or more to cook the recipe.
                  ........my large cooker was at 150 degrees at 2 hours with 2/3 water in it, while my little crock was at 170 in 2 hours with 2/3 water in it.
                  Today, I had to be away so to keep the food hot, I put the corn on the cob with it's water and butter into the large crock on high to keep warm while the chicken recipe was set on low in the small crock. When it was time to eat, I only had to make a salad and remove the food from their crocks.
                  I am so glad I found this group and that the members are active in presenting recipes and ideas. I would never have known to check the cooking temps of my crocks.
                  ott

                  I DO love the way you all push it to the limit. I have learned to try
                  so many new things from this list. I just don't see any reason to use it for
                  plain rice or noodles, etc. Can someone enlighten me?