re: Coke roast

  • Suzanne Silk Klein
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2007
      My son is a vegetarian so we don't do beef roasts when he's around, but
      we had a lot of Coke left over from a party that I wanted to use up. I
      made a coke-tofu stew with onions, potato, carrots, mushrooms, and some
      ketsup. Tofu needs a lot of help, so I used lots of salt pepper and
      mixed herbs. It worked. I cut the root vegetables fairly samll so
      they'd be done with the rest of the stew and had it on high for 3 hours.

      I find that I can substitute tofu for meat and chicken in ost slow
      cooker recipes, just have tp be careful to get extra firm tofu and not
      cook it too much. And extra seasoning helps.

      Of course, if you don't have left-over Coke, a strong beer works very
      well too.

      Suzanne Silk Klein
    • Kim Malo
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2007
        At 05:35 PM 3/3/2007, Suzanne Silk Klein wrote:
        >My son is a vegetarian so we don't do beef roasts when he's around, but
        >we had a lot of Coke left over from a party that I wanted to use up. I
        >made a coke-tofu stew with onions, potato, carrots, mushrooms, and some
        >ketsup. Tofu needs a lot of help, so I used lots of salt pepper and
        >mixed herbs. It worked. I cut the root vegetables fairly samll so
        >they'd be done with the rest of the stew and had it on high for 3 hours.
        >
        >I find that I can substitute tofu for meat and chicken in ost slow
        >cooker recipes, just have tp be careful to get extra firm tofu and not
        >cook it too much. And extra seasoning helps.
        >
        >Of course, if you don't have left-over Coke, a strong beer works very
        >well too.

        Suzanne, do you do anything to the tofu first - press it, freeze it,
        etc? sounds like an interesting idea to try.
        Kim