RE: [slowcooker] Boneless chicken breasts

  • Donna Pyper
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 3, 2007
      Cool; I see I am not the only one that figured out we can use foil for a
      lid. I always use chicken thighs for slow cooker recipes. I really don't
      liike the tough b/s chicken breasts either. I usually cook on high for 3 1/2
      - 4 hours, and they are done. DONNA

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 3, 2007
        Hi, Sara....and welcome to the group! I have found glass crockpot lids
        for people over the years at yard sales and thrift shops. Cut out a
        cardboard template (pattern) and keep it in your car. Whenever you see a
        yard sale or thrift shop.....step on your brakes! I have paid 50ยข or a
        dollar for them....I don't remember!

        Happy hunting!

        Myron

        Sara Kokajko wrote:

        >Okay, this is my first message to the group. Hi, Ya'll.
        > I made the Brown Sugar Chicken Breast recipe. It said cook on low for 7=8 hours. I turned it off after 4 hours b/c it was more than done already. It was tough and no good at all. I will not cook in the crockpot with boneless skinless chicken breasts again. I think the only way to get good results from chicken in the crockpot is to use a whole chicken with skin and bones or chicken pieces/parts with skin and bones. My kids don't want to dissect their dinner so I probably can't do it anyway.
        > BTW I have a 7 qt Monkey Wards crockpot I got for a wedding present 24 years ago with removable crock. A nice gentleman broke my glass lid for me several years ago at a church potluck, so I use a piece of aluminum foil topped by an old pan lid that doesn't fit tightly but serves the purpose.
        > Looking forward to trying more recipes from this group!

        '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
        Greetings from Daytona Beach, Florida |
        \ /
        ~, .-'-.
        /| -- / \ --
        ~^~`^~^`^~ / |\ ~^~~^~``~~^~~^^~^~^-=======-~^~^~^~~^~~^~^~
        ~^~ ~^~ ^~ /__|_\~^~ ~^~^~^~_~^~^_~-=========- -~^~^~^^~^_~
        ~^~ ~^~^ ~ '======' `~^-~~^~-^~^_~^~~ -=====- ~^~^~-~^~^~^~~^~
        jgs ~^~ ~^ ~^~ ~^~^ ~^~-~^~~^~-~^~~-~^~^~-~^~~^-~^~^~^-~^~^~^~
        Myron Menaker
        myronm@... "Vroom-Vroom.....Bike Week in Daytona!"

        '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
      • Gott-Dinsmore Stefanie
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 4, 2007
          I find thighs work best for the crockpot. I've done both with and
          without bone with very good results.
        • Paula Noakes
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
            I cook with boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot a lot, and
            have never had them get tough. Maybe you didn't have enough liquid in the
            recipe? I make a really delicious dish with chicken breasts and cream of
            chicken soup, you just plop them in and let 'em cook on low for hours. Then
            about an hour before dinner, you put in a packet of dry Italian dressing mix
            and a package of cream cheese (I cut the cream cheese up into smaller
            portions so it melts easier). Let that all cook together about another hour,
            and serve over hot cooked rice. Yum-OH! Tender chicken, great sauce, even my
            very picky almost-10 yr old eats it!

            Paula Noakes
            ajpjnoakes@...

            "Victories in life come through our ability to work around and over the
            obstacles that cross our path. We grow stronger as we climb our own
            mountains." -- Marvin J. Ashton
          • kat cecil
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
              Paula Noakes <ajpjnoakes@...> wrote: I cook with boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot a lot, and
              have never had them get tough. Maybe you didn't have enough liquid in the
              recipe? I make a really delicious dish with chicken breasts and cream of
              chicken soup, you just plop them in and let 'em cook on low for hours. Then
              about an hour before dinner, you put in a packet of dry Italian dressing mix
              and a package of cream cheese (I cut the cream cheese up into smaller
              portions so it melts easier). Let that all cook together about another hour,
              and serve over hot cooked rice. Yum-OH! Tender chicken, great sauce, even my
              very picky almost-10 yr old eats it!

              Paula Noakes
              ajpjnoakes@...

              "Victories in life come through our ability to work around and over the
              obstacles that cross our path. We grow stronger as we climb our own
              mountains." -- Marvin J. Ashton

              Messages in this topic (7) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
              Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database
              To subscribe, send a message to slowcooker-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              To view our recipe of the month contest winners, go to http://malincholia.com/slowcookerwinners.htm
              Copyright, 2006, Maria Rost Rublee.

              Recent Activity

              41
              New Members

              Visit Your Group

              Crock-pot
              Healthy cooking
              Healthy cooking oil
              Healthy cooking recipe
              Rival crock-pot

              Yahoo! Food
              Tons of Recipes!
              Find delicious
              recipes and more.

              Got Yodel?
              Best Yahoo! Yodel
              Give us your best
              yodel and win!

              Yahoo! TV
              Play the Intern Game
              Win and work for
              the next Apprentice.

              .

              _P_,_._,___
              Paula, do you use any water at all when you put your cream of chicken soup and chicken in the slowcooker? And what size of cream cheese do you use? I would like to try your recipe. Thanks a lot. Kala

            • jmd jmd
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
                *I have cooked them with cream of mushroom soup and tomato soup without any
                water added to the cans like you would when you cook them as a soup. With
                the tomato soup I add a whole bunch of herbs and it is just yummy.*
                *Take care and I hope that you and your family are healthy, happy and having
                a great day,*
                *Julie *

                On 3/6/07, kat cecil <kalacecil@...> wrote:

                > Paula Noakes <ajpjnoakes@...> wrote: I cook with boneless
                > skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot a lot, and
                > have never had them get tough. Maybe you didn't have enough liquid in the
                > recipe? I make a really delicious dish with chicken breasts and cream of
                > chicken soup, you just plop them in and let 'em cook on low for hours.
                > Then
                > about an hour before dinner, you put in a packet of dry Italian dressing
                > mix
                > and a package of cream cheese (I cut the cream cheese up into smaller
                > portions so it melts easier). Let that all cook together about another
                > hour,
                > and serve over hot cooked rice. Yum-OH! Tender chicken, great sauce, even
                > my
                > very picky almost-10 yr old eats it!
                >
                > Paula Noakes
                > ajpjnoakes@...

              • Jan Bailey
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
                  Ho many ounces of cream cheese?
                  Jan

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
                    Believe it was 8 ounces.

                    Jan Bailey <jb021951@...> wrote: Ho many ounces of cream cheese?
                    Jan

[...]

                    =====
                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Paula Noakes
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                      I just put in the regular package of cream cheese. I don't know what the
                      size is right off the top of my head, but it's the standard "brick" of cream
                      cheese, Philly brand or the "house" brand is what I usually buy. Just the
                      one package works great. I want to say 6 oz but I'm probably wrong. LOL.
                      I've got insomnia so my brain's a bit fuzzy right now!