Re: easy cheap crowd dish

  • tenneyhj@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
      I make Paella all the time, and its really easy for such a flashy dish.
      When I was in Spain I stayed in Barcelona, on the coast, so instead of chicken
      they always used seafood, so I do too. The recipe is really easy...

      Heat olive oil and a few pats of butter in a large dutch oven over medium
      heat. Add a few cloves of garlic chopped. Stir in rice, coat with oil and let
      heat until they turn a golden brown. Then add chicken broth. Use a 2 cups
      broth to 1 cup rice ratio--I use arborio rice. Now you can pour into
      crockpot, add a can of diced tomatoes. Let cook on low for a few hours, until broth
      is absorbed. (On a stove its about 45 minutes.) Add 4-5 strands saffron,
      frozen peas and carrots about 30 minutes before serving. Add desired seafood
      5-10 minutes before serving...I use precooked mussels and shrimp, sometimes
      scallops if they're on sale. Leave the mussels in their shells, the glossy
      black is lovely and so dramatic. All the colors...the golden rice, the red
      tomatoes, the orange and green veggies, the shrimp and mussels, its a very
      pretty dish, and very yummy. There's a reason why this is a staple in Spain, a
      country full of flavorful meals.

      ·´`·.(*·.¸(`·.¸ ¸.·´)¸.·*).·´`·
      ´¨*·.¸¸Heather Tenney¸¸.·*¨`·
      ·´`·.(¸.·´(¸.·* *·.¸)`·.¸).·´`·

    • Shelby Hill
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
        Thanks for all the great ideas!
        There are so many, I'll have some good ones for the next few church
        meals!

        Shelby
        Visit my boutique!
        Visitez ma boutique!
        http://parisii.blog-city.com

      • sherri
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007
          here is one... I don't know if all the ingredients are easy to get for you though...

          Not sure what it is "really" called but we ( my husbands family introduced me to it) call it "Hanky Panky" ( again NO clue why!!)

          2 pounds ground beef
          2 pounds ground sausage
          2 pounds velvetta cheese ( cut into cubes)

          brown both ground meats in a skillet.. drain well..( you can add any veggies ya want like onions, mushroom, peppers ect.to the meat as it is browning or just after your choice.I normally don't my kids are too picky!!)
          after you have drained all grease off, add velvetta cheese and just let it start to melt. then transfer to crock pot...
          I just put mine on warm for about an hour ( stirring every now and then so cheese doesn't burn and can all get melted). then serve w/ hamburger buns or my hubby used to eat it with doritos..( had all his teeth pulled so he can't anymore lol).
          I hope this makes since...
          you can make larger batches if you need to... just keep the meat and cheese even ( for every pound of cheese one pound of hamburger, and one pound of ground sausage.
          You would eat this as a "sloppy joe" but I don't think it is as sloppy as a sloppy joe...
          please let me know what you think and if you understand this... I am not good at doing this.Sherri

          Sherri~In Ohio
          http://www.cash-splitters.com/hillbilleegirl