Ig ot a new crockpot!

  • fivedays944 Day
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2007
      My last two oval crockpots have been Rivals, and I have had really bad luck with them! The first of the two literally tried to burn up on me (thank goodness I was home!) and the second just didn't hold up well at all. I had it less than 3 yrs. After about a year, the handles cracked, and then about 6 months after that the lid handle cracked and broke off. It would have cost me $18.50 to get a new lid through Rival (for a crock that goes on sale all the time for $25!!) Rival's customer service was oh-so-helpful, of course....apparently, they think that Crock-Pots are disposable, or should be replaced every year!Anyway, I needed a new crockpot, so dh and I went shopping. He wanted me to get the Rival Crock that has the gasket and lid clamps so that the lid won't leak when you transport it. It was 24.88 at WalMart, but it was only a 5 1/2 qt, which isn't big enough for some of the recipes I make. At Target, I found a Hamilton Beach 7 qt. basic crockpot for $17.48. I snatched it up! DH wasn't too happy that I didn't buy on his recommendation, but that extra qt. is so nice!! Last night for dinner, I threw in two lbs. of frozen meatballs, and 1 lb. of sweet Italian sausage (cut into chunks and browned on all sides,) along with two cans of spaghetti sauce. I left it on high for 3 hrs, and we made subs when the kids and I got back from AWANA. That combo always made a mess on the counter in my 5 1/2 qt. It was right at 1/2 full in my new one. There was no splattering on the counter at all. I love the extra depth! The only problem came when dh tried to put the new cp away, and the cabinet door wouldn't close because it was bigger than my other one! LOL I hope I'll be happier with my HB crock...I am a firm believer than anything that costs more than $5 isn't disposable and should last awhile! Let's hope this one does! Diane in SC
    • BKD
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2007
        oh gosh I just bought the crock pot u r talking about
        from walmart, the one that snaps so it doesnt leak,
        sure wish I had read this sooner, but then I often
        have two going at the same time!

        Betty

        fivedays944 Day <fivedays944@...> wrote:

        > My last two oval crockpots have been Rivals, and I
        > have had really bad luck with them! The first of the
        > two literally tried to burn up on me (thank goodness
        > I was home!) and the second just didn't hold up well
        > at all. I had it less than 3 yrs. After about a
        > year, the handles cracked, and then about 6 months
        > after that the lid handle cracked and broke off. It
        > would have cost me $18.50 to get a new lid through
        > Rival (for a crock that goes on sale all the time
        > for $25!!) Rival's customer service was
        > oh-so-helpful, of course....apparently, they think
        > that Crock-Pots are disposable, or should be
        > replaced every year!Anyway, I needed a new crockpot,
        > so dh and I went shopping. He wanted me to get the
        > Rival Crock that has the gasket and lid clamps so
        > that the lid won't leak when you transport it. It
        > was 24.88 at WalMart, but it was only a 5 1/2 qt,
        > which isn't big enough for some of the recipes I
        > make. At Target, I found a Hamilton Beach 7 qt.
        > basic crockpot for $17.48. I snatched it up! DH
        > wasn't too happy that I didn't buy on his
        > recommendation, but that extra qt. is so nice!! Last
        > night for dinner, I threw in two lbs. of frozen
        > meatballs, and 1 lb. of sweet Italian sausage (cut
        > into chunks and browned on all sides,) along with
        > two cans of spaghetti sauce. I left it on high for 3
        > hrs, and we made subs when the kids and I got back
        > from AWANA. That combo always made a mess on the
        > counter in my 5 1/2 qt. It was right at 1/2 full in
        > my new one. There was no splattering on the counter
        > at all. I love the extra depth! The only problem
        > came when dh tried to put the new cp away, and the
        > cabinet door wouldn't close because it was bigger
        > than my other one! LOL I hope I'll be happier with
        > my HB crock...I am a firm believer than anything
        > that costs more than $5 isn't disposable and should
        > last awhile! Let's hope this one does!
        >

        > Diane in SC
      • Dixie Jo
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
          Wow I have never had any problems with any of my cp. I have 2 oval rivals
          one is 5qt and one is 6 qt. I also just bought the Hamilton beach one I love
          it too. My stays on my counter cause I use it so much it never gets put away
          ..lol Now I am sitting here trying to figure out what we are having fir
          dinner tonight...lol

          Love ya,
          Dixie

          The biggest sacrafice we will make is the call of God over our lives. Christ
          called us to carry the cross not the cause.

          ~Beth Moore~

          http://www.myspace.com/dixieslifestruggles