Mozzarella Chicken and Rice - super easy

  • Eden
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2006
      This was served to us and I have permission to pass it on. It is a variation on the cheesy chicken idea. I would call it a cheesy-sticky rice chicken. Anyway, we thought it tasted great.

      Mozzarella Chicken

      4 chicken breasts (frozen was used)
      1 large can of cream of chicken soup
      1 packet chicken gravy mix
      2 1/2 cups instant or long cooking rice (either works)
      2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated

      Coat the inside of the crock-pot with non-stick spray.
      Layer the ingredients as follows:

      Chicken in the bottom.
      Sprinkle the gravy mix evenly over the chicken.
      Pour on the soup and spread it around.
      Layer on the cheese.
      Sprinkle the rice over the top.

      Cook on low about 8 hours. (Until chicken is falling apart.) 20-30 minutes hour before the chicken is done, add 1/2 cup of water and stir the pot thoroughly, shredding the chicken while stirring. Replace the lid and finishing cooking--until the rice is done.

      Our hostess served us this "pot" dish along with a variety of fresh and cooked vegetables.

      Eden

    • Chris Weiss
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2006
        Eden......

        By "large" can of cream of chicken soup do you mean the family size (I think
        they call it)?
        That is the only moisture until you add the water the last half hour??

        Sounds so easy and good! Thanks for sharing.

        Chris in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

        > This was served to us and I have permission to pass it on. It is a
        > variation on the cheesy chicken idea. I would call it a cheesy-sticky rice
        > chicken. Anyway, we thought it tasted great.
        >
        > Mozzarella Chicken
        >
        > 4 chicken breasts (frozen was used)
        > 1 large can of cream of chicken soup
        > 1 packet chicken gravy mix
        > 2 1/2 cups instant or long cooking rice (either works)
        > 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
        >
        > Coat the inside of the crock-pot with non-stick spray.
        > Layer the ingredients as follows:
        >
        > Chicken in the bottom.
        > Sprinkle the gravy mix evenly over the chicken.
        > Pour on the soup and spread it around.
        > Layer on the cheese.
        > Sprinkle the rice over the top.
        >
        > Cook on low about 8 hours. (Until chicken is falling apart.) 20-30 minutes
        > hour before the chicken is done, add 1/2 cup of water and stir the pot
        > thoroughly, shredding the chicken while stirring. Replace the lid and
        > finishing cooking--until the rice is done.
        >
        > Our hostess served us this "pot" dish along with a variety of fresh and
        > cooked vegetables.
        >
        > Eden
      • Eden
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
          Hi Chris:

          I believe the can is called the family size. The can is about the size of 2
          regular cans or slightly more.

          I got brave and tried this yesterday. It works. Even for me. And it is quite
          filling.

          The can of soup I used was about 24 oz. (I threw it away and now I can't
          found it in the trash to read the label.)

          The reason no more water is needed is that the recipe calls for frozen
          chicken, which has water in it and adds liquid to the mixture as it cooks.

          I've never crock-potted fresh or unfrozen chicken so I do not know how much
          water would be needed. We need a "pro" to tell us that.

          A long time ago, maybe late 1970's, Minute Rice put out a little free
          cookbooklet of their winning recipes. One of the winners was called Cheesy
          Rice. This dish looks and tastes a lot like that casserole,only with chicken
          added.

          (That Minute Rice recipe also had the optional ingredient of topping the
          casserole with curried crushed bread crumbs. That would be a yummy topping
          to this dish....hmmmmm.....maybe I'll try that next time.

          Hope this helps.

          Eden

          --24-28 oz.
          > By "large" can of cream of chicken soup do you mean the family size (I
          > think
          > they call it)?
          > That is the only moisture until you add the water the last half hour??
          >
          > Sounds so easy and good! Thanks for sharing.
          >
          > Chris in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

        • ~Heather~
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
            This sounds super good, but what kind of gravy do you use with it? Any particular kind? Or just chicken gravy or something similar??

            Hugs
            Heather

          • Eden
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
              Our hostess did not serve gravy. And when I made it, I didn't think the
              dish needed any.
              The finished consistency of the shredded chicken and rice is sort of like
              thick cooked oatmeal (before the milk or cream). It is moist and sticky (not
              sure that is the right word) , but it does hold together because of the
              cheese.

              I'd call it a casserole dish. Crock-potted, not baked.

              Let me know if you try a gravy....what kind and how it went.

              Eden