Recipe of the Month Nomination: Slowcooker Pepper Steak

  • Terri Neff
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2006
      I'd like to nominate this recipe for Octobers Recipe of the month. See people do pay attention to your hints! The recipe was very good, I was worried about the green peppers all day. If I was home I would probably add them halfway thru the day (I cooked for 11 hours on low), but it was very good regardless. One other change - I thought bits of tomato was wierd in pepper steak, so I used tomatoe sauce (8oz), this gave me volume and the flavor as intended. I would double this next time so that I had leftovers. We served it over rice and there was nothing left for lunches. Terri, Denver CO
      slowcooker pepper steak

      Recipe By :
      Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
      Categories :

      ========================
      2 pounds beef sirloin -- cut into 2 inch strips
      garlic powder to taste
      3 tablespoons vegetable oil
      1 cube beef bouillon
      1/4 cup hot water
      1 tablespoon cornstarch
      1/2 cup chopped onion
      2 large green bell peppers -- roughly chopped
      1 can stewed tomatoes -- (14.5 ounce) with liquid
      3 tablespoons soy sauce
      1 teaspoon white sugar
      1 teaspoon salt

      Sprinkle strips of sirloin with garlic powder to taste. In
      a large skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil
      and brown the seasoned beef strips. Transfer to a slow cooker.
      Mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved, then mix
      in cornstarch until dissolved. Pour into the slow cooker
      with meat. Add onion, green pepper, stewed tomatoes,
      soy sauce, sugar and salt.
      Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for
      6 to 8 hours.
      John Havel, Editor

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      - -

      Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2477 Calories; 172g Fat (63.0%
      calories from fat); 174g Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber;
      578mg Cholesterol; 7112mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 23
      Lean Meat; 8 Vegetable; 19 Fat.

      NOTES : From the files of ckpenner77@...

      Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

    • Kim Malo
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2006
        At 11:10 AM 9/25/2006, Terri Neff wrote:
        >I'd like to nominate this recipe for Octobers Recipe of the
        >month. See people do pay attention to your hints!

        <BIG GRIN> Thanks to you and to Keeley for nominating the beans. I
        really hate nagging people : ) to the point where even a basic
        reminder feels like nagging.
        Also good because we do regularly have people wondering if they can
        do this sort of thing (Chinese food favorites) in the slowcooker so
        nice to have a recipe with comments out there.

        And for any newbies wondering what we're talking about, here goes the
        full blurb about the contest:

        The idea behind the contest is to identify TNT great recipes we've
        tried and loved. This is supposed to be about the absolute favorites
        that people beg you to make again and again, or as was noted on one
        of the March nominees - that you can't keep your spouse out of while
        it's still cooking. So don't be afraid to nominate a recipe just
        because you think it's too every day and not fancy enough. The only
        restriction is that you can't nominate a prior winner or runner up
        (listed on the contest winner site at
        http://malincholia.com/slowcookerwinners.htm (be sure to check the
        links for prior years too).

        Here are the contest guidelines:

        1. The contest opens for nominations on the first of each month and
        closes on the 20th of the same month (end of day EDST).

        2. That's because voting begins on the 21st of the month, when the
        nominations are set up in a monthly poll on the yahoo group site at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slowcooker/polls and ends on the last
        day of the month (end of day EDST)

        2. All recipes nominated must have been posted on the Slowcooker
        List. If you tried a recipe that you loved but it hasn't already been
        posted on the Slowcooker List, then just post it!

        3. To nominate a recipe, you must have tried it, and you should also
        do so before voting. That's supposed to be part of the fun - to give
        the group the inspiration to try some new things that have already
        been TNT by someone you can ask questions about it.

        4. To nominate a recipe, include the words "RECIPE NOMINATION" in
        your header to make sure I see it and post the following information
        to the slowcooker list at slowcooker@yahoogroups.com. The post should include:

        -- a copy of the recipe
        -- your comments about why the recipe was so great and any
        modifications you made
        -- who originally contributed it to the Slowcooker List (if at all
        possible) and any other applicable source. Even if it's just to say a
        long lost neighbor whose name you can't recall

        5. To simplify voting and tracking the votes, we're do this via the
        poll function at the yahoo group site
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slowcooker/polls Each monthly contest
        will appear as a new poll, available beginning the 21st of the month
        as soon as possible after the nomination process closes.

        You vote by going to the site and logging in with your yahoo ID. I'll
        re-post the details about doing that when voting opens this month.

        That's it! The voting will be closed at the end of the month, and the
        winner announced in the first few days of the following month, with
        the recipe posted on the web page as soon as possible afterward. What
        do I win, you ask? Just that - fame and glory, with your recipe
        appearing prominently on one of the places people get pointed to when
        they have requests, especially when they have trouble searching the archives.

        Yell if any questoins
        Kim