Re: [slowcooker] Anemic Roast Chicken Question

  • SOWeepee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
      A possible answer could be to put it under the broiler in the stove on low
      when you finish with some butter to brown it
      sherry

    • SOWeepee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
        ps i personally have never had one brown in the crock pot. they are very pale

      • Rita Weirich
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
          I always throw mine under the broiler for 10 minutes before serving, browns
          it right up!

          Rita
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
            sprinkle with a lot of paprika . adds color and flavor

          • Auntie J
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
              I use seasoned salt on the skin (which we don't eat, personal preference).
              Makes for a nice color. I'm sensitive to over-salted food and this doesn't
              sound any alarms, although I admit being skeptical before I tried it. :)

              On 9/3/06, cranium_hoopla <kpestrada@...> wrote:

              > I'm thinking about making my first Roasted Whole Chicken in a
              > crockpot...I've seen so many recipes out there for it. My questions
              > is this....Does it come out with that Golden Brown Color? or is there
              > anything you can do to improve the color of it? I had a co-worker who
              > tried to roast a chicken in the CP but found it to be Pale in
              > color...she said it looked ANEMIC? Please let me know what you think?
              >
              > Kath

            • Nadia Sams
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
                I've cooked 2 whole chickens in my crock pot, and they both browned really well. I just used a little lemon juice and sprinkled a bit of paprika on the top, or with the other one I used a little cooking spray and paprika as well.

                I also use the 3 balls of foil on the bottom to stop the chicken sitting in the fat.

                The last time I cooked on I put stuffing in it, but as I leave it on all day while I'm at work I found this dried out the chicken a bit too much...