Cooking a Whole 10 lbs turkey in a crock pot

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 30, 2006
      I have a 10 lbs thawed turkey waiting to be cooked. I was going to do
      it in the oven but here in North Dakota today it is almost 100. I
      thought about doing it in the crock pot. Have any of you done this, and
      if you have could you tell me what you did and how long it took.

      TIA
      Kim
    • lvforests@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 30, 2006
        In a message dated 7/30/2006 5:45:02 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        awesomecrafts@... writes:

        thought about doing it in the crock pot. Have any of you done this, and
        if you have could you tell me what you did and how long it took.

        I've done a turkey in the crockpot before. It is very moist and tasty, but
        doesn't brown like it does in the oven. But as hot as it is in ND (and in
        Nebraska wehre I am) I'd rather have it cooked that way.

        I season mine the same way I would for the oven, no stuffing inside, then
        instead of the can of broth I add in the oven, I add about 1/2 to 1 cup in the
        crockpot. This could be skipped, but we like lots of gravy.

        If it is completely thawed a 10 pound turkey will probably take about 6
        hours in the crockpot if you have a newer crockpot. If it is an older one, then
        probably 10 hours.

      • Becky
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30, 2006
          What size crockpot did you use for this? Mine are definitely too small for a 10 lb, but I have had a larger one in the past which would probably have fit.

          Thanks!

          I've done a turkey in the crockpot before.
          Recent Activity
          a.. 52New Members
          Visit Your Group
          a.. Healthy cooking
          b.. Crockpot cooking
          c.. Crock-pot
          Yahoo! TV
          Love TV?

          Listings, picks

          news and gossip.

          Y! GeoCities
          Be Vocal

          Publish your opi-

          nions with a blog.

          Y! Toolbar
          Get it Free!

          easy 1-click access

          to your groups.
          .

        • lvforests@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 31, 2006
            In a message dated 7/30/2006 9:58:01 P.M. Central Standard Time,
            keepermom@... writes:

            What size crockpot did you use for this? Mine are definitely too small for
            a 10 lb, but I have had a larger one in the past which would probably have
            fit.

            I have a 6 quart, I think. It was a tight fit, but it did fit.

          • Di HB

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 31, 2006
                I use seasoned salt on poultry skin when I'm crocking. Just shake it on,
                top and botton of the bird. It gives the skin a lovely color. We don't
                eat the skin so the extra salt gets tossed away.

                Cut up an onion (any onion, any cut you like) and an apple (any apple, skin,
                seeds and all) and toss them into the bird's body cavity for a lovely
                infusion of flavor.

                On 7/31/06, lvforests@... <lvforests@...> wrote:

                > In a message dated 7/30/2006 9:58:01 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                >
                > keepermom@... <keepermom%40cox.net> writes:
                >
                > What size crockpot did you use for this? Mine are definitely too small for
                >
                > a 10 lb, but I have had a larger one in the past which would probably have
                >
                > fit.
                >
                > I have a 6 quart, I think. It was a tight fit, but it did fit.

              • Ann Cotton
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 31, 2006
                  --- Di HB <slingshot_13064@...> wrote:

                  > I find a whole turkey breast works alot better for
                  > crockpot than a whole turkey..comes out pretty
                  > tasty too and fits alot better.

                  I would agree with this also...I have never done a
                  whole turkey in a slow cooker...don't know how it
                  could fit...but frequently do a turkey breast...they
                  come out very moist with good drippings for gravy.

                  Ann

                  ~Gourmet candles to scent your home without a black sooty mess~
                  www.bestwicks2burn.com

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Myron Menaker
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 31, 2006
                    Dear Crocker-jocks,

                    A turkey breast is fantastic with a can of cranberry sauce and a package
                    of onion soup mix. Same recipe as the cranberry pork roast! Crock on low
                    for at least 8 hours, maybe 10...until juices run clear.

                    Delicious and the gravy is heavenly!

                    Crockin' at the beach,

                    Myron

                    Ann Cotton wrote:

                    >>I find a whole turkey breast works alot better for
                    >>crockpot than a whole turkey..comes out pretty
                    >>tasty too and fits alot better.
                    >>

                    >I would agree with this also...I have never done a
                    >whole turkey in a slow cooker...don't know how it
                    >could fit...but frequently do a turkey breast...they
                    >come out very moist with good drippings for gravy.
                    >
                    >Ann

                    .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:.
                    Myron Menaker Daytona Beach FL USA
                    myronm@... |
                    \ / _\/_
                    Ho-hum, another day in paradise! |

                  • Auntie J
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
                      Yes, it does!

                      Thanks for the reminder, Myron. I was wondering what to do with the pork
                      for tonight. Now I know. :D