Re: [slowcooker] What to do with crockpot shredded chicken?

  • Myron Menaker
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 30, 2006
      Hey, wonderful! Maybe we can get together and crock something good! <grin>

      The "Sweet and Sour Chicken" I make is very simple (of course)!

      8 pieces of chicken....your choice
      1 package taco seasoning
      1 jar salsa
      1 jar peach or apricot preserves

      Dump all into pot and crock on low for 8 - 10 hours. Oh, yes, if you
      have onions and peppers, you can dump them in too!

      Good luck and stay in touch!

      Myron

      Rita Weirich wrote:

      > Hey - we're on our way over there the week of June 11th - staying in New
      > Smyrna on the beach again.
      >
      > I've been wanting to do Sweet and Sour Chicken, even bought some vidalias
      > and green peppers with that in mind - how do you do yours?

      '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
      Greetings from Daytona Beach, Florida |
      \ /
      ~, .-'-.
      /| -- / \ --
      ~^~`^~^`^~ / |\ ~^~~^~``~~^~~^^~^~^-=======-~^~^~^~~^~~^~^~
      ~^~ ~^~ ^~ /__|_\~^~ ~^~^~^~_~^~^_~-=========- -~^~^~^^~^_~
      ~^~ ~^~^ ~ '======' `~^-~~^~-^~^_~^~~ -=====- ~^~^~-~^~^~^~~^~
      jgs ~^~ ~^ ~^~ ~^~^ ~^~-~^~~^~-~^~~-~^~^~-~^~~^-~^~^~^-~^~^~^~
      Myron Menaker
      myronm@... "World's Most Famous Beach!"
      '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    • barbarahgarrett
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 30, 2006
        Chicken tetrazzini (sp?). I can never get too much of that, especially the
        recipes that have lots of veggies in it--onion, celery, English peas, bell
        pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms, a little jalapeno--yum! Plus, it freezes in
        individual casseroles for future meals like a dream. Other than that, I
        freeze cooked chicken in zipper seal bags, with enough broth mixed in so
        that all the chicken is moistened. I can then use it for recipes down the
        road, or just take one out and have a chicken sandwich or a chicken biscuit
        within minutes. Cooked chicken in the freezer is money in the bank.
        --Barbara G. in Mississippi
      • christina hicks
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 30, 2006
          Macaroni Chicken Casserole
          Ingredients
          2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
          2 cups macaroni, uncooked
          1 can cream of chicken soup
          1 can cream of mushroom soup
          2 cups milk
          1 onion, chopped fine
          1/4 lb. Velveeta or American cheese
          salt and pepper, to taste
          Directions
          Mix together and put in 9x13 inch pan. Let stand overnight.
          Bake 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
          Best Ever Chicken Casserole
          Submitted by: Mary Berrong
          Rated: 4 out of 5 by 203 members Yields: 4 servings
          "Water chestnuts and corn flakes give added texture to this blessedly easy-to-make item."
          INGREDIENTS:
          4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
          1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts
          1 onion, chopped
          1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
          1 cup cornflakes cereal crumbs
          1 cup mayonnaise
          DIRECTIONS:
          1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
          2. In a large pot, boil the chicken until tender. Cut the breasts into cubes or small pieces.
          3. In a large bowl, combine the chicken pieces with the water chestnuts, onion, soup, most of the crushed corn flakes and mayonnaise. Mix well.
          4. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the rest of the crushed corn flakes on top of the

          mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Chicken With Tropical Barbeque Sauce Recipe
          Serves/Makes:
          reset servings
          Ready in: > 5 hrs
          Categories:
          New Recipes
          Chicken Breasts Recipes
          1/4 cup molasses
          2 tablespoons cider vinegar
          2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
          2 teaspoons prepared Dijon mustard
          1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
          2 tablespoons orange juice
          3 whole bone-in chicken breasts, halved
          Recipe Sponsor:
          Combine molasses, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, hot pepper sauce and orange juice. Arrange chicken in crock pot. Brush sauce over chicken. Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours (High: 3-4 hours).
          NOTE: Sauce is excellent over ribs and chops.
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Crockpot Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken
          Easy and "YUMMY"!
          Ingredients
          1 large chicken, cut into serving pieces
          1 cup packed brown sugar
          2/3 cup vinegar
          1/4 cup Sprite or 7-Up pop
          2-3 Tbsp. minced garlic
          2 Tbsp. soy sauce
          1 tsp. pepper (regular black or cayenne)
          Directions
          Place chicken in crockpot. Mix all remaining ingredients and pour
          over chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
          Serve over rice or noodles. You can thicken the juices after
          cooking with a little cornstarch.
          Crockpot Lemon Chicken
          Lemon and chicken are wonderful partners. Try this excellent crockpot recipe and serve it over hot rice or noodles to soak up all the sauce.
          6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
          1/3 cup flour
          1 tsp. salt
          1/4 tsp. pepper
          2 Tbsp. olive oil
          1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
          3 Tbsp. catsup
          3 Tbsp. brown sugar
          6 oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
          2 Tbsp. cornstarch
          1/4 cup water

          Mix flour with salt and pepper in shallow dish. Coat chicken pieces in this mixture. Shake off excess and brown in olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Remove chicken and place in a 3-4 quart crockpot.
          Mix the vinegar, catsup, brown sugar and lemonade concentrate in small bowl and pour over the chicken. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours. When ready to serve, remove the chicken to a warm platter and cover. Combine cornstarch and water in small bowl, mix well and stir into the sauce. Cook on HIGH for 20-30 minutes until thickened. Serve with chicken and hot rice. 4 servings

          Christi Hicks

        • Kathleen
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2006
            I can't remember where I got this recipe, but it has been around for years. My family
            likes this a lot. It's tried and true.

            Kathleen

            Chicken Dorito Casserole
            You can use plain corn tortillas...or another flavor.I use store brand
            Doritos. I also like this made with ground beef instead of chicken. It's
            more like a King Ranch Casserole.

            List of Ingredients

            3 - 4 Chkn Breasts or parts (cooked, cubed or shredded)
            1 can cream of mushroom soup (I use 98% fat-free store brand)
            1 can cream of chicken soup (I use 98% fat-free store brand)
            1/2 to whole can of Rotel tomatoes, drained (I used store brand)
            1/4 can of milk
            2 cups of shredded cheese (cheddar or colby jack)
            1 Bag of Dorito's (crushed)
            salt & pepper to taste

            Mix soups, Rotel, milk, 1 cup cheese and chicken together in large
            bowl.

            Add approx 1/2 bag of crushed chips. Place mixture into large
            casserole dish, then top with remaining crushed chips. Top with
            remaining cheese, cover with foil or lid and bake in oven at 350 or 375
            for 30 - 40 minutes. Remove foil to brown cheese for a few minutes,
            then remove from oven, let sit for 5 minutes.

            Top with sour cream and/or salsa if desired. I like to serve a green
            salad with this.

            *Note: When the grandkids are going to be eating this, I use just 1/2
            can of Rotel tomatoes. I find this casserole is better made one day
            and reheated and eaten the next day. I also like to use Velveeta in the
            "body" of the casserole and cheddar cheese on top.

          • crazyseoulsister
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2006
              Here's my idea---

              Get some pinto beans going in the crock pot- add some water,bacon and
              onion and let it cook all day.

              Cook the chicken with some onions and garlic in a skillet with some
              seasonings and have it in tortillas with lettuce tomatoes, salsa and
              cheese.

              MMMmmmmm. Making me hungry just thinking about it
            • Barbara Knighton
              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2006
                I'm needing ideas/recipes for Cinco de Mayo -- mexican party recipes -- I'm
                hosting a Ladies night out Home Interior Bingo party --everyone is bringing
                appetizers, etc -- but I need an idea for something I can do ahead and
                transport to the party that is more of a main dish idea than an appetizer
                -- and I need it for 30 people -- I usually buy sheet pizzas for these but
                can't find a place that will make a mexican sheet pizza -- so I need
                something to substitute -- any suggestions?????

                Barb
              • Rita Weirich
                Message 7 of 16 , May 13, 2006
                  By individually wrapping them, they sort of just "bake" in the pot, instead
                  of soaking in their own juice. It's kind of like cooking them in a mini
                  oven without heating up the kitchen. Sometimes I open up the packets after
                  cooking and throw them under the broiler to crisp up the skin. This is how
                  I usually cook my leg quarters when I plan to pull the meat off the bone to
                  use in something else.

                  Rita
                  Have never individually wrapped any of my chicken in aluminum foil.
                  Are there any advantages to doing that? Am assuming that you don't add any
                  liquid to the crockpot.

                  Gail

                  OK, I just bought a bunch more of my chicken leg quarters on sale, and I
                  have them crocking, individually wrapped in aluminum foil. I'm a little
                  burnt out on chicken salad, pulled chicken BBQ sandwiches and tex-mex.
                  Any
                  other ideas out there for me? It's getting too hot for me to appreciate
                  soup here in sunny Florida....Rita

                  To contact the list owner, send a message to
                  slowcooker-owner@yahoogroups.com
                  =====
                  Copyright, 2005, Maria Rost Rublee.

                  Service.

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 14, 2006
                    add some hot sauce a few crumbles of bleu cheese and diced celery and you
                    have a quick dip or spread for hot wing hoagies

                    Ricci