[slowcooker] Beef Ragout

  • Debdn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 1999
      Hi all,

      This is a good one for those looking for something lower in fat. I made it
      yesterday and was quite happy with the results. The original recipe is called
      "Shirley's Ragout" from "Crock-It". I made some adjustments to make it legal
      for weight watchers.

      Makes 4 servings (10 weight-watcher points each)

      1 lb lean beef cut into cubes (like beef stew)
      1 14oz can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
      1 large onion chopped
      2 red potatoes (size of your fist) cut into 6ths
      2 or 3 cups of cut up carrots
      1/2 cup water
      1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
      2 Tablespoons sugar
      1 Tablespoon pickling spice tied up in cheese cloth and dropped in the pot.

      Mix all together and cook on low for around 8 hours. Remove the bag of
      pickling spice and serve. The original recipe called for 2 pounds of beef and
      1 teaspoon of pickling spice and no water. The pickling spice really adds a
      spectacular flavor to this meal. I ladled out about 1 1/2 cups of liquid into
      a sauce pan on the stove at medium heat and added some cornstarch to thicken
      it. I then poured this back into the pot to thicken up the remaining juices.
      It made for a lovely stew.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/slowcooker