Re: Which brands work best? Older really IS better?

  • OrganLeroy
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
      And I had been seeking out all these old Rival "burnt orange" pots
      because my mom had one when I was growing up........ The older sealed
      ones aren't as convenient for clean-up, but they do seem to cook
      better and more evenly.

      --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "mrublee" <mrublee@g...> wrote:

      > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie Cuttle
      > <stephaniecuttle@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What is the best brands of slowcookers? I think mine is to hot.
      > When ever I try a recipe, even if I have it on low, it seems to boil
      > and cook everything to death. I don't remember what brand it is, but
      > it wasn't cheap. Which brands work well?
      >
      > Unfortunately, new crockpots today cook HOT. Manufacturers got scared
      > that someone might undercook something and sue them, so they cranked up
      > the wattages. It's almost impossible to find a new crockpot today that
      > cooks "normally." So you can just adjust your cooking times, or you
      > can visit the local thrift shop and buy an older one.
      >
      > Also, if you get a smaller crockpot and cook with it mostly full, that
      > will help. When you cook with only 1/3 or less full, that also
      > decreases cooking times.
      >
      > Maria

    • Charles Turner
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
        My problem with Crockpots has been that the OUTSIDE of them gets so hot I am afraid to leave them on countertop for fear of starting a fire if I am gone.....................Have set them in sink to cook before while gone..............are there ones out there that are insulated enough they do not do this??? Nancyt

        "Jesus cannot forget us;
        we have been graven on the palms of his hands."
      • heidi_anne63
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
          I like to broil the ribs first, about 10 minutes per side. Then I put them in the cp with my favorite sauce. This method gives the ribs a true bar-b-q apperance, and a richer flavor.

          The other method is to cook them in the CP for about 7 hours, covered in water, salt and pepper and onion. Drain off the ribs, cover them in a sauce and grill on the bar-b-q.

        • MMM139@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
            In a message dated 1/2/2006 6:12:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            h_cant@... writes:

            The other method is to cook them in the CP for about 7 hours, covered in
            water, salt and pepper and onion. Drain off the ribs, cover them in a sauce and
            grill on the bar-b-q.

            That's my method and I love it.

            Maryann

          • Val Taylor
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
              Stephanie, all of the newer crockpots cook too high. You have to
              adjust for it or else buy an older model.

              On Jan 1, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Stephanie Cuttle wrote:

              > What is the best brands of slowcookers?  I think mine is to hot.  When
              > ever I try a recipe, even if I have it on low, it seems to boil and
              > cook everything to death.  I don't remember what brand it is, but it
              > wasn't cheap.  Which brands work well?
            • Karla Neese
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                I LOVE my crockpot. I just recently replaced one of the new variety that burned everything. The folks on this list really came through for me with recommendations. The one I bought is a real winner. It is the West Bend Oblong 5 quart slow cooker. The pot sits on top of a base and can be used on the stove to brown your meat, so you only dirty one pot. The base can be used as a small griddle.

                Nothing in this slowcooker has ever overcooked. In fact, a few times i've not had it up high enough and things had to cook longer than expected.

                Karla

                Val Taylor <listval@...> wrote: Stephanie, all of the newer crockpots cook too high. You have to
                adjust for it or else buy an older model.

                On Jan 1, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Stephanie Cuttle wrote:

                > What is the best brands of slowcookers? I think mine is to hot. When
                > ever I try a recipe, even if I have it on low, it seems to boil and
                > cook everything to death. I don't remember what brand it is, but it
                > wasn't cheap. Which brands work well?
              • Wishblade Fun
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                  I got two new slowcookers for christmas the brand is Rivel. I made augratin potatoes and a ham on New Years and they turned out very good. I didn't have a problem with boiling on the lowest heat setting. I have a 4 qt and a 4 1/2 qt.

                  I like these because the pot comes out. Easy to clean. My old rivel the pot is attached and is hard to clean.
                  Elaine

                  Val Taylor <listval@...> wrote: Stephanie, all of the newer crockpots cook too high. You have to
                  adjust for it or else buy an older model.

                  On Jan 1, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Stephanie Cuttle wrote:

                  > What is the best brands of slowcookers? I think mine is to hot. When
                  > ever I try a recipe, even if I have it on low, it seems to boil and
                  > cook everything to death. I don't remember what brand it is, but it
                  > wasn't cheap. Which brands work well?
                • Rick & Jan Lloyd
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                    I agree! My 20 + year old Sears "WestBend" is the best! I have to admit though that I have never used the base without the pot or the pot without the base... I know you can but I haven't (boo hoo)... or maybe I did years ago when I thought that food tasted "better" when the meat was seared first.... If so, it was so long ago that I am ;sure my pot will forgive me! I do believe that the trick to the new hotter pots is to have them fuller, and cook mainly on low. I think that I only start something on high if I don't start it first thing in the morning...of if it is something that I know only needs to cook for half a day. I do believe in "kick-starting" sometimes. My boneless chicken pieces don't dry out in it, either...

                    Jan, rooting for the Trojans on Wednesday in Beautiful, dry Huntington Beach, CA
                    I LOVE my crockpot. I just recently replaced one of the new variety that burned everything. The folks on this list really came through for me with recommendations. The one I bought is a real winner. It is the West Bend Oblong 5 quart slow cooker. The pot sits on top of a base and can be used on the stove to brown your meat, so you only dirty one pot. The base can be used as a small griddle.

                    Nothing in this slowcooker has ever overcooked. In fact, a few times i've not had it up high enough and things had to cook longer than expected.

                    Karla

                  • Donna Pyper
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
                      KARLA, Which brand seemed to almost burn everything ? Maybe I am a
                      weirdo, but I would like one that cooks fast. DONNA