Basic chili - WW recipe

  • Kim Malo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2005
      This is a nice basic ground beef/beans/tomato chili recipe (and yes, I know
      that whole concept makes chili purists shudder <g>) that's also Weight
      Watchers friendly, which means it fits a whole bunch of people - from those
      new to slowcookers/cooking who are looking for easy but adaptable recipes
      likely to appeal to a broad range of tastes to those on many of the various
      diets out there. Our listowner Maria posted it a couple years back and it's
      become one of my 'comfort food' absolute staples. It's pretty mild as
      chilis go, so I tend to tweak it a bit to spice it up and such, but that's
      one of the best parts of it - you CAN easily tweak it, because it's so
      basic and starts with a good balance of things. Just got back from a trip
      to the store with the ingredients to make it and satisfy a craving so I
      thought I'd repost it for those who might have missed it in the past. Also
      can be found as a past recipe of the month contest winner at
      http://www.geocities.com/monthlyrecipe/chili.htm or in the archives at

      Classic Beef Chili
      Recipe by: Weight magazine

      Ingredients
      1 pound lean ground beef (10% or less fat)
      2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
      2 T chili powder
      1 t ground cumin
      1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
      1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
      1 sweet onion, chopped
      1/4 cup canned diced chiles
      2 T tomato paste

      Instructions
      Cook ground beef & garlic in skillet until browned, drain off fat. Add
      chili powder & cumin, stir to coat the beef.
      Mix the tomatoes, beans, onions, chiles and tomato paste in a slow cooker.
      Stir in the beef mixture.
      Cover and cook on high until the flavors are blended, 4-5 hours.

      Per serving (based upon 8 servings): 170 calories, 5 g fat (2 g sat fat, 0
      trans fat), 32 mg chol, 331 mg sod, 16g carb, 5 g fiber, 17 g protein, 59
      mg calc
      Points per serving: 3

      Kim's notes:
      No, you don't have to brown the meat, but I really don't like the texture
      of hamburger you don't brown first in this sort of thing.

      I always add some dried red peppers and/or dried red pepper flakes and hot
      sauce to kick up the heat a bit and have added a variety of different other
      things that struck my fancy at the time for extra flavor, like a splash of
      worcestershire sauce or half a bottle of hard cider or the remains of jar
      of salsa or...

      I usually double this when I make it and like to add one can of kidney
      beans and one of some other kind, usually black beans

      I like it served with a major splash of hot sauce and for extra special a
      dab of sour cream or yoghurt and/or the sour cream/yoghurt and a bit of
      chopped up avocado (yeah, I know, but it's good)

      Kim