Porridge Query

  • Annette
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2005
      I am wondering if it is possible to cook porridge in the crock pot
      over night?

      I know my grandmother used to do something similar to this with a hay
      box way back before slow cookers were invented. She would bring the
      porridge to boiling the night before, and then put it in a box filled
      with hay, cover the closed saucepan with more hay and put the lid on -
      in the morning fresh cooked porridge.

      So, would this be possible in my crock pot on low? Especially if I
      started with the ingredients cold - some mornings the rush in this
      house is unbeliveable (usually those ones when I am slated to drive
      the school bus).

      Annette.
    • favorednhim
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2005
        --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "Annette" <mommamacnz@y...> wrote:

        > I am wondering if it is possible to cook porridge in the crock pot
        > over night?

        ABSOLUTELY, Annette! There aren't many mornings around here when we
        DON'T wake up to slow-cooked porridge of one grain or the other. I
        feel like I have my own short-order cook. I'll give you what I do,
        but you will have to experiment with your own slow cooker, taking
        into account the higher temps of the new ones. In general, the
        rougher the cereal cut, the better. Old-fashioned rolled oats or
        even oat groats, 5-, 7- and 10-grain whole grain mixes, barley & rye
        flakes, teff, amaranth, millet, and so on. I generally combine
        grains, but use mainly rolled oats. For instance, 2 2/3 cups of
        rolled oats and 1/3 cup of teff, barley, whole kasha or millet. What
        works in my medium Rival Crock-pot (the new one, I might add) is 3
        cups of rolled oats and about 7 cups of water, then cook it on "Low"
        overnight. Depending upon how many hors are in that "overnight," and
        how cold/hot the ambiant temp in the kitchen is, it may or may not
        scorch a little. I try to put it on about an hour before I go to
        bed, so I can work in a good stir. Somehow this helps keep down the
        sticking. The following morning, I stir it up very well, scraping
        off the sides--unless it's really scorched, then I leave the sides
        alone! LOL! If it's too thick, then I stir in a little extra water
        or juice. Then I stir in 1 cup of dry powdered milk, which I have
        pre-measured in little jars and sitting there for me. I like the
        idea of us getting the extra calcium boost and I just like oatmeal in
        milk. Butter and brown sugar are also there, or dried or fresh
        fruit, depending upon the time element. If you really want something
        special, hook up your little Crockette to cook alongside with some
        dried apricots, prunes, or apples and raisins in water to barely
        cover. These will be GREAT on top of your porridge. HTH Email me
        privately if you want to discuss it further.