Review: Five Spice Pork Roast

  • auntiej500@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8 12:25 PM
      Back in February 2005, debbsmith1 posted Five Spice Pork Roast. Took me awhile to remember to buy Five Spice powder but we found some on sale a couple of weekends ago. I made the roast a couple of nights ago and we just finished the leftover pork in sandwiches.

      This recipe is TREMENDOUS!!! Fast and easy to prepare, it tastes as though you slaved for hours. I used a pork tenderloin roast, about 4 lbs, and skipped the browning in oil step.

      We've just bought two more pork loin roasts in anticipation that we'll slowcook them together, reserving the smaller one for sandwiches.

      This recipe could easily be the centerpiece meal for a traditional family dinner, holiday entertaining, or Super Bowl party. If the Recipe-of-the-Month is revived, and I hope it is, this is my nomination!

      Slow Cooked Five Spice Pork Roast
      submitted by debbsmith1

      3 lb. pork shoulder roast
      1-1/2 tsp. five spice powder
      1 tbsp. vegetable oil
      1 cup apple juice
      3 tbsp. cider vinegar or herb vinegar
      2 tbsp. soy sauce

      Directions

      Trim fat from pork roast. Check to make sure roast will fit in
      crock pot. If not, trim it to fit and place extra meat around where it
      will fit, or save to make stock at a later date by freezing. Rub roast
      with five-spice powder.
      In a large skillet brown roast on all sides in hot oil. Place
      roast in crock pot.
      Stir together apple juice, vinegar, and soy sauce in pan you
      browned roast in. Stir with any juices and scrape pan for any browned
      bits. Pour all over roast in crockpot.
      Cover and cook on Low for 10 - 12 hours, or on High for 4-1/2 - 5
      hours. If juices in crock are not too fatty, make a gravy with juices or
      place in a pan and reduce juices to make a sauce.
      Serve with rice or noodles, sautéed green beans and salad.

      Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

      Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

    • auntiej500@netscape.net