[slowcooker] Crockpot Chili

  • Karen Sonnessa
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 25, 1999
      This is new off the Cooking Light website (untried).

      * Exported from MasterCook *

      Crock-Pot Chili

      Recipe By : Cooking Light Website, Jan. 1999
      Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
      Categories : Meat Beans

      1 pound ground round
      1 cup chopped onion
      1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
      1/4 cup dry red wine or water
      1 tablespoon chili powder
      1 teaspoon sugar
      1 teaspoon ground cumin
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1 garlic clove -- minced
      1 can kidney beans -- undrained
      -- (15-ounce)
      1 can mexican-style stewed -- (14.5-ounce)
      tomatoes with jalapeno peppers
      and spices -- undrained
      6 tablespoons shredded -- (1-1/2 ounces)
      reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar
      cheese

      1. Cook the ground round in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat
      until brown, stirring to crumble. Add chopped onion and the next 7
      ingredients (onion through garlic), and cook for 7 minutes or until onion is
      tender. Place meat mixture in an electric slow cooker, and stir in beans
      and tomatoes. Cover with lid, and cook on low-heat setting for 4 hours.
      Spoon into bowls; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings (serving size:
      1-1/4 cups chili and 1 tablespoon cheese).

      Note: The chili can be made on the stovetop if you don't have a slow cooker.
      After adding the beans and the tomatoes, bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
      simmer, partially covered, 1-1/2 hours.

      NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: CALORIES 243 (21% from fat); FAT 5.6g (sat 2.3g,
      mono 1.8g, poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 25.5g; CARB 22.9g; FIBER 3.1g; CHOL 49mg;
      IRON 4.1mg; SODIUM 637mg; CALC 154mg

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/slowcooker
    • FastFrank4@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 8, 1999
        Super Bowl of Crockpot Chili
        Note: This is for a 5 qt crockpot, which is larger than the usual. Cut down
        the proportions if you have a smaller crockpot.

        1 lb. ground beef
        3 medium onions, chopped
        2 garlic cloves, crushed
        3 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained (if you
        prefer a less spicy chili, just use regular stewed tomatoes)
        4 T. chili powder (or less if you prefer a less spicy chili)
        2 T. ground cumin
        1 bay leaf
        1 T. salt
        6 whole cloves (Yes, cloves! This is the secret ingredient.)
        4 cans (15 oz. ea.) beans, undrained (you can use all red kidney beans, or for
        variety, use a combination of beans such as red, black, garbanzo, white, etc.)
        blue corn tortilla chips, crushed
        shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
        In a Dutch oven, brown the ground beef and onions over medium-high heat. Drain
        off the fat. You can reduce fat content even further by placing the beef
        mixture in a colander and running hot water over it. Put the beef and all
        ingredients except the tortilla chips and cheese into the crockpot. Cook on
        high for 8 hours. Serve in soup bowls or ceramic crocks, with a sprinkling of
        crushed blue corn tortilla chips and shredded sharp Cheddar cheese on top.

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/slowcooker
      • Tonkcats@cs.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 1999
          CROCK-POT CHILI

          1 1/2 lb. hamburger
          1 large can hot chili beans
          1 can cream of mushroom soup
          1 can cream of celery soup
          1 large can tomato sauce
          1 can beer
          1 diced green pepper
          1 diced onion (small)
          1 tsp. Italian seasoning
          2 Tbsp. minced onion
          1 diced jalapeno pepper
          1 diced yellow pepper
          5 diced green onions
          2 stalks diced celery
          5 diced radishes
          2 Tbsp. pepper
          1 Tbsp. celery salt
          3 Tbsp. chili powder
          1 tsp. Mrs. Dash
          1 tsp. garlic powder

          In large (at least four quarts) crock-pot (low tempera-
          ture setting), combine tomato sauce, soups, beer, 1/2 can chili
          beans (with juice), pepper, garlic powder, celery salt, chili
          powder, Italian seasoning and Mrs. Dash. Put remaining 1/2 can
          of chili beans in blender and "mush" until thick mixture forms.
          Dump into crock-pot and cover. In large skillet, brown ham-
          burger; drain grease and add to sauce. Saute remaining
          ingredients in two tablespoons butter until celery is tender.
          Add to crock-pot and let simmer for at least 3 hours, stirring
          occasionally. Chili powder and peppers can be increased/re-
          duced according to taste.
        • Myron Menaker
          Message 4 of 15 , May 27, 2003
            Dear Crocker-buddies,

            Several people asked me for my chili recipe, so, for your enjoyment,
            here it is! It's easy to modify to your personal tastes:

            Crockpot Chili (traditional)

            3 lbs ground beef
            one lg onion, diced
            one lg green pepper, diced
            1 lg can of either sliced tomatoes or diced tomatoes with juice
            4-5 cloves of garlic, squeezed and chopped
            chili powder to taste (at least 1 Tbl)
            cumin to taste (at least 1/2 Tbl)
            dash of red pepper (more if a chile-head!)

            Brown the ground beef and drain.
            Dump the veggies and can of tomatoes in the crockpot while waiting for
            the
            meat to cook....turn to low.
            Dump beef in the crockpot.
            Add the garlic, cumin, red pepper, and lots of chili powder (to taste)
            -- crock on low for 5 - 6 hours.
            Taste now and then to see that it has enough chili powder and cumin in
            it.

            If you like it super-spicy, throw in extra red pepper or tabasco!

            Note: this is traditional (i.e., no beans). My wife likes beans in her
            chili, so you know the rest of the story!!! Toss a can of kidney beans
            in, if desired! :-)

            Enjoy...use lots of chili powder and red pepper!

            Myron

            --------========********<O>********========-------------
            Myron Menaker Daytona Beach FL USA
            myronm@... |
            \ / _\/_
            .-'-. //o\ _\/_
            -- / \ -- | /o\\
            jgs^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^-=======-~^~^~^~~^~^~^ ~|~^~^|^~`
            "World's Most Famous Beach!" |
            --------========********<O>********========-------------
          • Jgirlsemail@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 22, 2004
              This is a great easy crock recipe!
              Crockpot Chili

              * 1 1/2 lbs hamburger meat
              * 1 pack chili seasoning
              * 1/4 cup masa flour
              * ground cayenne (to your taste)
              * 3 onions coarsely chopped
              * 3 bell peppers (different colors), coarsely chopped
              * 1 can plain stewed tomatoes
              * 2 cans seasoned stewed tomatoes
              * 2 whole tomatoes largely diced
              * 2 cans kidney beans
              * 2 cans chili beans (spicy or not)
              * 1 can tomato paste
              * salt and pepper (to taste)
              * shredded cheese (optional)

              Brown meat, 1/2 of chopped onion, 1/2 of bellpeppers, salt and pepper to
              taste. Drain and put in crockpot or leave in large pot on stove. Add all
              other ingrediants. If cooking on stove in large pot cook 3-4 hrs. If
              cooking in crock pot, cook on high for 6-8 hrs. Serve in bowl with
              cheese on top and corn bread or saltines on the side.

              Great homeschooling resources:
              http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=classicalthings

            • Deborah B Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 6 6:47 PM
                Does any one out there have "The Recipe Builder" on WW.com ? I do have it
                but the weather is so very bad, that my dial up just won't pull it up. If
                you have it please put this through it:

                Crockpot Chili

                2 servings Boca(per serving: cal. 60; fat 0.5; dietairy fiber3)
                1 can 15.5 oz Black Beans(per serving: cal.120; total fat 0; fiber 6)
                1 can 15.5 oz Chili Beans(Cal.110; fat;1; fiber 6)
                1 10 oz can Diced Tomatos & Green Chilies(Cal. 20; fat 0; fiber1
                1 8oz can tomato sauce(Cal.15; fat 0; fiber 0
                1 6 oz can tomato paste(cal. 25; fat 0; fiber 2)
                1 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes(in juice) (cal 25; fat 0; fiber 1)
                TIA

                " When you raise yourself above servant, you rank yourself above
                savior "
                Deb / Al./ 208.6 /165.6 /146 Moderator
                http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Weight-Loss-Women/
              • Chris Weiss
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 7 7:23 AM
                  This sounds easy and great but I need to know....
                  what is Boca?
                  Thanks.

                  [Moderator's response: A google search turned up this: www.bocaburgers.com ]

                  Crockpot Chili

                  2 servings Boca(per serving: cal. 60; fat 0.5; dietairy fiber3)
                  1 can 15.5 oz Black Beans(per serving: cal.120; total fat 0; fiber 6)
                  1 can 15.5 oz Chili Beans(Cal.110; fat;1; fiber 6)
                  1 10 oz can Diced Tomatos & Green Chilies(Cal. 20; fat 0; fiber1
                  1 8oz can tomato sauce(Cal.15; fat 0; fiber 0
                  1 6 oz can tomato paste(cal. 25; fat 0; fiber 2)
                  1 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes(in juice) (cal 25; fat 0; fiber 1)
                  TIA

                  " When you raise yourself above servant, you rank yourself above
                  savior "
                  Deb / Al./ 208.6 /165.6 /146 Moderator
                  http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Weight-Loss-Women/

                • EXT-Armstrong, Charlotte A
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 7 9:48 AM
                    Ground beef without the beef. Boca burgers are veggie burgers...
                    somewhat analogous to a tofu turkey.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
                      Don't think I've shared this yet

                      I put
                      2/ 15oz cans tomato sauce
                      (calls for 1/ 15oz can stewed tomatoes too but I don't use it)
                      1 big can pinto beans
                      1 lb cooked ground beef (I use ground turkey)
                      1 pkg chili seasoning
                      few shakes of chili powder
                      lil pepper

                      We LOVE it

                    • JerseyLotus
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
                        This sounds like a great simple recipe--how long do you cook it, and do you
                        use high or low?? --Pat & Paws

                        Don't think I've shared this yet. I put 2/ 15oz cans tomato sauce (calls for
                        1/ 15oz can stewed tomatoes too but I don't use it) 1 big can pinto beans 1
                        lb cooked ground beef (I use ground turkey) 1 pkg chili seasoning few shakes
                        of chili powder lil pepper. We LOVE it.

                        fuel-efficient used cars.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
                          oh I'm sorry, since I cook the meat 1st it really only needs to be warmed up
                          so I cook it on low for about 4 hours or so

                          In a message dated 7/2/2008 10:47:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                          jerseylotus@... writes:

                          how long do you cook it, and do you
                          use high or low?? --Pat & Paws

                        • Hank Grant
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
                            I made this tonight using Moose and chili beans and diced tomatos and half an onion diced and a stack of celery diced.

                            To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.comFrom: jerseylotus@...: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 23:28:54 -0400Subject: RE: [slowcooker] Crockpot Chili

                            This sounds like a great simple recipe--how long do you cook it, and do youuse high or low?? --Pat & Paws -----Original Message-----From: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com [mailto:slowcooker@yahoogroups.com] OnBehalf Of sativa83@...'t think I've shared this yet. I put 2/ 15oz cans tomato sauce (calls for1/ 15oz can stewed tomatoes too but I don't use it) 1 big can pinto beans 1lb cooked ground beef (I use ground turkey) 1 pkg chili seasoning few shakesof chili powder lil pepper. We LOVE it.**************Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.(http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]------------------------------------To subscribe, send a message to slowcooker-subscribe@yahoogroups.comTo unsubscribe, send a message to slowcooker-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comTo view the archives, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/messages/slowcookerTo view our recipe of the month contest winners, go tohttp://malincholia.com/slowcookerwinners.htmTo contact the list owner, send a message toslowcooker-owner@yahoogroups.com ===== Copyright, 2006, Maria Rost Rublee.===== Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • JerseyLotus
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 3, 2008
                              Thanks!!:) --Pat & Paws

                              jerseylotus@... writes:

                              how long do you cook it, and do you
                              use high or low?? --Pat & Paws

                              fuel-efficient used cars.

                            • sassyblonde/Cheryl
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 23, 2008
                                This is good, but instead of the stewed tomatoes, I added a can of Rotel
                                diced tomatoes with green chilies. We like ours a little bit hotter and
                                spicer then most do. I also added two small hot peppers. I have a crock
                                going now with some. It's a little cooler here and rainy, so I thought this
                                would be perfect for supper tonight
                              • Richard Lee Holbert
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 6 7:05 PM

                                  Crockpot Chili

                                  2 pounds Ground round, Browned and drained

                                  30 ounces Kidney beans, canned, Drained

                                  30 ounces Whole tomatoes, Drained and chopped

                                  4 tablespoons Chili powder

                                  1 clove Garlic, Minced

                                  1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

                                  1 1/2 teaspoons Cumin powder

                                  2 teaspoons Salt

                                  1 teaspoon Pepper

                                  1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

                                  1 tablespoon Olive oil

                                  1 large Onion, Coarsely chopped

                                  6 ounces Black olives, Pitted and drained

                                  4 ounces Water

                                  1) Brown and drain ground round in skillet.

                                  2) Place all ingredients into Crockpot and mix thoroughly.

                                  3) Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

                                  NOTES : Goes well with grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese sprinkled on top.

                                  Can be frozen and then reheated in a sauce pan later in the week for quick dinners. Crockpot Chili