SMART POT QUESTION

  • mbiggs12000
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2005
      Hi group, my name is Sue and I have been a member for quite some time,
      but have been unable to post due to time constraints. I'm coming out
      of lurkdom for a minute with a question.

      I received a Rival 6 qt. Smart Pot today and the instructions in the
      owners manual have me confused. It says that the recipes in the
      manual need to be doubled for a 6 qt. but just add 1 1/2 times the
      amount of liquid. I can understand that, but what about the recipes
      in the cookbook that came with it or any other Crockpot cookbook?
      They don't say what size crockpot the recipe is for. Am I over
      analyzing this???

      Thanks and regards,
      Sue/TN
    • paul
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2005
        Good question.

        What is the "standard" size crockpot?

        Then again, isn't is all pretty much a guess, just toss the stuff into
        the crock and whatever? Because you know anything is going to be
        well cooked after 6 or 8 hours.

        So far my method is "brown the meat off" in a frying pan. Then dump
        it and whatever I use to deglaze the pan into the crock. Doesn't
        really matter what the meat is. Pork chops, emu, chicken thighs or
        legs, sausage.

        It's all delicious.

        paul
        _____________________________________
        http://remsset.com

        You're not famous until they put your head on a Pez dispenser.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2005
          At 09:27 PM 9/8/2005, mbiggs12000 wrote:
          >Hi group, my name is Sue and I have been a member for quite some time,
          >but have been unable to post due to time constraints. I'm coming out
          >of lurkdom for a minute with a question.
          >
          >I received a Rival 6 qt. Smart Pot today and the instructions in the
          >owners manual have me confused. It says that the recipes in the
          >manual need to be doubled for a 6 qt. but just add 1 1/2 times the
          >amount of liquid. I can understand that, but what about the recipes
          >in the cookbook that came with it or any other Crockpot cookbook?
          >They don't say what size crockpot the recipe is for. Am I over
          >analyzing this???

          Nope, don't think you're over analyzing this at all, since how full your
          slowcooker is can definitely affect how it cooks. More so on some dishes
          than others, but enough to matter. Not full enough tends to make it cook
          hotter and can cause burning, overcooking, drying out, etc.

          Unless they specify otherwise or the quantities make it clear otherwise, I
          assume any recipe that doesn't say is talking about a 4 -4.5 qt cooker,
          which used to be more or less the standard back when there were fewer
          sizes. Which means the instructions about doubling the ingredients by only
          adding 1.5 times the liquid sounds about right as a rule for your 6 qt.,
          although to be safe in case the original recipe fills the slowcooker more
          than most, I'd probably go with 1.5 times the ingredients and sort out the
          liquids (maybe 1.25 instead of 1.5 times?) by what the dish is and how
          liquid and all that.
          Kim