Barefoot Contessa's Brisket

  • diana peterson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      This would be GREAT in the crock pot~! Only I would do half of the amounts. I am not sure a 7 lb brisket would fit in my crock pot. LOL. Assemble in the crock pot following the directions and let it go on low for about 8 to 10 hours. Yummy~! Nothing new. Just good~!

      Brisket with Carrots and Onions
      Barefoot Contessa Parties!

      Yield: 10 to 12 servings

      6 to 7 pounds beef brisket
      2 tablespoons kosher salt
      2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
      1 tablespoon minced garlic (4 cloves)
      2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
      1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
      8 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch chunks
      6 yellow onions, peeled and sliced
      6 fresh or dried bay leaves
      1 (46-ounce) can tomato juice

      Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

      Place the brisket in a heavy roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano. Rub the mixture on the brisket. Pile the carrots, celery, onions, and bay leaves on the brisket and pour in enough tomato juice to come about 3/4 of the way up the meat and vegetables. Cover the top of the pan with 2 sheets of parchment paper, then with aluminum foil. (The tomato juice will react unpleasantly with the aluminum foil if they touch.)

      Bake for 3 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Remove the meat from the pan and keep it warm. Place the pan on 2 burners and boil the vegetables and sauce over medium heat for another 30 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened.
      To serve, slice the meat across the grain. Serve with the vegetables.